Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180104_063606.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	16025

2. Likes kwarkentien, hozn, bobco85, musclys liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't get an opportunity to ride on a frozen lake every day, so when you do, you take it:

Name:	Accotink.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	16077

Name:	20180107_154233.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	16078

4. Likes Steve O, Boomer2U, kwarkentien, bobco85, drevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple from Florida

Name:	IMG_7941.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	16296

With apologies to Vicegrip.

Name:	IMG_7943.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	16297

On the dock at Tarpon Springs, FL

6. Likes bobco85, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maple Valley Ride

Yesterday, I needed some alone time to use for exploration, so I did a ride from the southern end of Lake Washington to Maple Valley along the Cedar River Trail. I then rode back on various roads and the Soos Creek Trail in the dark. I plan on making a video of the Cedar River Trail portion, so stay tuned in the coming month or so.

The weather was typical for winter in the Pacific Northwest: temperature in mid-40's (F), overcast skies, occasional light rain.

I managed to get a flat in the rain in the dark while riding on one of the shoulders of the 45 mph speed limit roads (a little uncomfortable, but hey, I gotta get home somehow), but since I've gotten so many flats since I moved out here, I was able to quickly and efficiently find and fish out the piece of glass (of my 13 flats since moving here, all but one have been from glass) before replacing the tube. I'm going to take a pic of the jagged mess that is my rear wheel's Gatorskin tire (it's done the best after replacing 2 other tires but has still taken a beating). If there is such a thing as a magnet for glass, I surely have it on my rear wheel!

(left) from the Renton Rowing Center at the southern end of Lake Washington with Seattle left, Mercer Island center, and Bellevue right; (right) small airplane in a nearly continuous line landing at nearby Renton Municipal Airport

Name:	1_lakeWA_planeLanding.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	16413

(left) riding the Cedar River Trail which is adjacent to the 50 mph speed limit Renton Maple Valley Highway; (right) we've got a logjam on the river!

Name:	2_cedarRiverTrail_logjam.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	16414

(left) taking a break under a bridge; (right) hanging out on an iron truss bridge in Maple Valley

Name:	3_riverBreak_ironTrussBridge.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	16415

(left) after reaching Maple Valley, I turned onto the Cedar to Green Rivers Trail which is packed gravel, not unlike the Metropolitan Branch Trail; (right) my destination in Maple Valley was Lake Wilderness which has a park and an arboretum that I will peruse on a future trip

Name:	4_cedarToGreenRiverTrail_lakeWilderness.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	16416

(left) I had never ridden the Soos Creek Trail, but riding it in the dark was a lot of fun. It had a couple of low spots including one that was submerged with a helpful sign reading "Water Over Trail" (right) one of the slightly elevated concrete bridges over the marshy landscape

Name:	5_soosCreekTrail.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	16417

Post Thanks / Like

I had already put these on Strava, but there's just something about an orange bike in the snow. Mad River Path in Vermont:

Name:	20180117_154810.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	16464

Name:	20180117_154744.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	16460

["Nude swimming"]

Name:	20180117_155512.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	16461

Name:	20180117_153943.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	16462

Name:	20180117_153124.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	16463
    Last edited by huskerdont; 01-24-2018 at 10:39 AM.

9. Likes Sunyata, Steve O, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a peculiar log on the side of the trail that I've been eyeing up for a while.

I think I have to adjust my strategy.

11. Likes kwarkentien, JorgeGortex, bobco85 liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    There's a peculiar log on the side of the trail that I've been eyeing up for a while.

I think I have to adjust my strategy.
    Damn you, log, damn you.

13. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not every day that one gets to fulfill one of their childhood dreams, but I am happy to say that I did that on Sunday! I've been a Nintendo nerd for nearly my entire life, and I've always wanted to visit the Nintendo of America building. Now that I'm living in the Seattle area, Nintendo of America is reachable because it just so happens to be in nearby Redmond. I also checked out some other interesting things along the way, and somehow I lucked out in the weather changing from a dreary, overcast day with light rain to a partly cloudy day with the sun even making an appearance (temperatures were in the mid-50's (F), too!).

(left) bridge being built for the future expansion of the Link light rail, this line will connect Seattle to Bellevue to Redmond; (right) interesting turn-off from a bike lane near Microsoft HQ to a trail access ramp for the SR 520 Trail (runs from Seattle to Redmond)

Name:	1_lightRailExtensionBellevue_bikeAccess.jpg 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	16740

(left) Microsoft Visitor Center (closed on the weekend for some reason); (right) little free library on the Microsoft campus; Also, I should mention, the Microsoft campus is as big as that of a major university!

Name:	2_microsoftVisitorCenter_littleFreeLibrary.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	16741

(left) that's pure joy on my face as I fulfilled a childhood dream to finally see Nintendo of America! (center) a Guardian (from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild) attacked me, and as someone who has been attacked by them in the game, seeing a real-life nearly full size version (this was about 7 feet tall) was pretty intimidating; (right) bike and Nintendo sign garden; Also, the Nintendo of America is only about 2 blocks away from the Microsoft HQ!

Name:	3_nintendoOfAmerica_guardian_bikeSign.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	16742

(left) in the state of Washington, I have come to see many uses of a bike lane and separate pedestrian lane in lieu (cough, cough, being cheap) of a sidewalk; (right) Lake Sammamish as a beautiful blue sky took over

Name:	4_bikeLanePedLane_lakeSammamish.jpg 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	16743

(left) I rode on the West Lake Sammamish Parkway which is an interesting bike lane-based opposite-side-of-the-lake counterpart to the East Lake Sammamish Trail and became quite nice with a clearer sky, riding amongst the evergreen trees; (center) I rode on the Mountains to Sound Trail of which the I-90 Trail is a part; (right) Olympic mountains (about 50 miles away) visible with the Bellevue skyline

Name:	5_blueSky_mountainsToSoundTrail_olympicMtnBellevue.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	16744

15. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's Bike SR 520 Trail from Seattle to the Velodrome Video

I started off the new year with an awesome ride along the entirety of the SR 520 Trail which runs from Seattle (about half a mile from University of Washington and the Burke-Gilman Trail) across Lake Washington on the world's longest floating bridge into Bellevue and eventually Redmond. The trail has lots of climbs, but if one goes all the way to its eastern end at the Sammamish River Trail in Redmond, one can easily go to Marymoor Park and the Jerry Baker Memorial Velodrome. The full trail has been open only since December 2017 when the final portion connecting Seattle to the Evergreen Point floating bridge was completed.

I was a bit delayed on making this video since I was deep into my 2017 in Review video, but I am happy to have this one completed. Enjoy!

P.S. - someday, I hope to be able to stay up on the banked curves on the velodrome, but for now, I am le scrub.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soggy Dumpling Ride

Komorebi led us through the rain...and the rain....and the rain, which was thankfully interrupted by stops for dumplings.

Name:	komo.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	16843
    Here are some pics from the ride:
    Birru:

Name:	birru.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	16842