Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make DC Bike Maps durable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Make DC Bike Maps durable?

When it comes to mapping my way to new destinations, I'm old-school. I refer to a hardcopy of the DC Bike Map. I keep the map in a jacket pocket, bookbag or in my jeans back pocket as I ride. If I get lost while riding I pull out the map. I find that the maps aren't super durable. With frequent use, it doesn't take long for the maps to rip along the folds. I'm now adding scotch tape at the "corners" pre-emptively, in the hopes that this will prevent the map from ripping.

Anyone have any other tips for making the maps last? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I was a US Army scout platoon leader in a former life, so this topic is near and dear to me. Go to some place like REI and get yourself a map case. If you have PX privileges, the uniform sales store is an even better choice.

The idea is to fold the map so the parts you will need are visible on the two sides of the case. That way, you don't have to take the map out. If you keep the map dry and clean, and minimize handling, it will last a long time.

The larger the map case, the more map you can expose. You'll have to decide where the sweet spot between, "compact enough to fit in my jersey pocket," and, "big enough to show my epic ride," is.

You could also laminate your map with sticky acetate, but, IMO, that makes it too unwieldy for use on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaHeights View Post
    When it comes to mapping my way to new destinations, I'm old-school. I refer to a hardcopy of the DC Bike Map. I keep the map in a jacket pocket, bookbag or in my jeans back pocket as I ride. If I get lost while riding I pull out the map. I find that the maps aren't super durable. With frequent use, it doesn't take long for the maps to rip along the folds. I'm now adding scotch tape at the "corners" pre-emptively, in the hopes that this will prevent the map from ripping.

Perhaps an off the shelf laminated map might help. Or Google maps on your phone if you have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bar Map Case. Spokes Etc. has them I believe. I also have one I never use anymore (because I'm not old-school anymore); I'll try to remember to throw it in my bag and keep it there, and should we meet up at one of the Happy Hours you are more than welcome to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a solution that can be painted onto maps that is supposed to protect them...googling. I think this is it: http://www.aquaseal.com/map-seal.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips guys. In the summer I know there will be times when I travel with no bag, etc, so I think I'm going to try out the aqua seal. I'll put the map in my back pocket (balances out the wallet!)

I don't have a smartphone, but I do have an Ipod Touch. It's basically an iPhone, but there's no 4G, so I can only access internet and GPS features if I'm in a wifi zone. I may be able to save a PDF or image of the DC bike map to my Ipod Touch, in which case I wouldn't need internet to view the map. I'll toy around with this on my own unless someone can provide any tips. Thanks again guys.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a smartphone, but I do have an Ipod Touch. It's basically an iPhone, but there's no 4G, so I can only access internet and GPS features if I'm in a wifi zone. I may be able to save a PDF or image of the DC bike map to my Ipod Touch, in which case I wouldn't need internet to view the map. I'll toy around with this on my own unless someone can provide any tips. Thanks again guys.
    The GPS should be independent of the WiFi else I could not record a GPS track in "Airplane mode." A device with GPS should know where it is at all times, but this will be worthless if a good street level maps is not available outside of WiFi range. I don't know if you can download an appropriate map for this application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    The GPS should be independent of the WiFi else I could not record a GPS track in "Airplane mode." A device with GPS should know where it is at all times, but this will be worthless if a good street level maps is not available outside of WiFi range. I don't know if you can download an appropriate map for this application.
    Are you saying that you could use strava on the iphone in airplane mode? I did not know that. So it'll just track your GPS route, and then later at some point you could link to wifi or 4g to upload the track?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Are you saying that you could use strava on the iphone in airplane mode? I did not know that. So it'll just track your GPS route, and then later at some point you could link to wifi or 4g to upload the track?
    Yep. (Well it was an android phone.) It still didn't save my battery enough, but the effort was to reduce power consumption (and not answer phone calls from the ball and chain).

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    (and not answer phone calls from the ball and chain).
    Sorry, I'll stop calling you reminding you to do another 50 miles/day now.