Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Conditions 2011-01-26

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trail Conditions 2011-01-26

Today's commute felt like I was riding through a big slurpee, with someone throwing ice crystals at me as hard as they could while it was pouring rain. Interesting to say the least. I think I'll be drying out for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmm.. brain freeze

I went in last night and commuted home this morning, so got to watch most of it from the warmth of my office ..

Post Thanks / Like

I rode home in the worst of it. Left work at 3:30 and got back to Herndon right at 5 frozen like a popsicle. Not bad though from McLean to Herndon! It usually takes me 1:00 on the CXB, about 1:15 in the winter, and 1:30 tonight in the HEAVY snow on my studded tire MTB. Basically right on schedule with a little delay!

Every road was gridlock in every direction. W&OD was about 4-6" thick, but it was absolutely dumping snow. Slow going with the hardcore headwind, but otherwise that wasn't bad.

I am glad to be home and warm with my feet up though.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad everyone seems ok. You made it home. One of my friends in a car gave up and she pulled off the road with her sister and child but found a hotel room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    I am glad everyone seems ok. You made it home. One of my friends in a car gave up and she pulled off the road with her sister and child but found a hotel room.
    Wow, glad she's alright. Some of my coworkers had to abandon cars as well, and one slept in her back seat under an overpass.

Post Thanks / Like

Twitter sez that the W&OD's getting plowed, but I'd stick to the roads to get to it. Just checked out the Custis, and it's snow & ice from Lee Highway (at least) past Fairfax Drive (at least). Won't melt enough today, and the overnight refreezing's going to make it unrideable (and unplowable) well through tomorrow AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I passed three plows that were stuck in the snow on my ride home.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

At noon, the W&OD from Roosevelt (just be for the Sycamore underpass and mile 5) to Walter Reed has a hit or miss plowing. The section from Bluemont to Glen Carlyn really wasn't plowed, but there was a single clear track most of the way. The wooden bridges had not been cleared and I had to walk across them. From Walter Reed to Shirlington was not plowed. The plow was on something similar to a golf cart and someone commented that it didn't have enough weight to plow cleanly. At noon it was parked by the caboose in Bluemont Park, so maybe it was heading east? The bike lanes on McKinley/Ohio, Patrick Henry, and George Mason were not clear as of 1 pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to extend a general thank you to all of you who post trail reports. I often rely on you more intrepid folks to help me make my do I/don't I decisions about riding into work or home. It's highly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know if the W&OD is rideable tonight? I'm leaving work in half an hour, and it's a LOT less stressful than route 7.

I'm riding Vienna to Herndon.

Thanks in advance...