Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Stolen Bike: Surly LHT (black)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stolen Bike: Surly LHT (black)

Stolen Bike - Surly LHT (Del Ray, Alexandria)

My bike was stolen from the basement of my apartment building last night. Please be on the lookout for it. I'm hoping against hope it turns up somewhere like a bike shop or something where someone will have read this...

If seen, please (either/at least):
    Contact Alexandria PD. Reference case number 13 110 116.
    Msg me
    email me: eric.weisz ---at--- gmail.com
    call: 2zero2 35five 860nine

Thumbnail sketch: Surly Long Haul Trucker, 56 cm 700c frame, drop bars w/ red tape, black Brooks B17 saddle, full fenders and racks
    Pictures -- taken for other purposes, so not the best, but will do: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1075760...57631649184876

Very detailed description below. Rot in HELL, bike thief scum!

Frame/Fork: Surly Long Haul Trucker - 700c, 56 cm, Blacktacular
    Headset: FSA "The Pig" (w/ black headset spacers on steerer tube [largely uncut - i.e., lots of exposed steerer tube])
    Stem: Dimension 125 degree 90mm stem, 31.8mm clamp
    Handlebars: Cannondale C3, 440mm width, anatomic drop, 31.8 clamp diameter, red Planet Bike cork tape
    Brake Levers: Tektro RL520 aero drop brake levers, V-brake compatible
    Brakes: Avid SD-7 V-brakes w/ Kool Stop Salmon cartridge pads
    Shifter: Shimano SL-BS64 Ultegra Bar End Shifter Set (8-Speed)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano FD -M591 Deore Traditional Dual Pull Multi Clamp Front Derailleur (for 28.6 mm clamp diameter)
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
    Rear Cassette: SRAM 8 speed 850 11-32 (11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Square Taper UN-54 (68x113mm) w/ Problem Solvers aluminum retention cup on non-drive side
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio Crankset - 22/32/42
    Chain: SRAM 8 speed PC-850 with PowerLink
    Seatpost: Velo Orange Grand Cru silver 2 bolt, 32mm setback seatpost, 27.2x300m
    Saddle: Brooks B17, standard, black
    Pedals: Shimano M520 clipless SPD
    Wheelset (700c): Rear: 36h Velocity Dyad rim/Shimano Deore LX hub/14 gauge straight spokes
    Front: Shimano Alfine 36h dynamo hub laced to Sun CR-18 rim
    Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700x35)

Rear Rack Topeak Explorer
    Front Rack Nashbar Blackburn-style Low Rider
    Fenders Planet Bike Cascadia Touring/Hybrid, Black
    Headlight B&M Lumotech CYO N Senso Plus dynamo powered LED
    Taillight B&M Topline Plus dunamo powered LED
    Bar Tape Planet Bike red cork handlebar tape
    Computer Planet Bike Protege 9
    Bell IncrediBell (black, worn)
    Stem Cap Stem Captain II Thermometer

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks! As we all agree here on this forum.. there is a special place in hell for bicycle thieves. The pics are great and helpful (nice looking rig). I will certainly keep a look out for you....best of luck and keep us posted on any progress. Check Craigslist often, and in nearby areas such as Baltimore and even Philly. Welcome to the forum (although I wish it was under better circumstances).

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have renter's insurance, that should cover some (all?) of the cost. Not sure how they factor in depreciation for a bike though.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like an inside job?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Renters insurance expired around the time our son was born last spring, and in all the commotion that is new parenthood, the email notice to renew was lost in the shuffle. Thought it had been done. It wasn't. Live and learn... renters insurance renewal will be a VERY HIGH priority from now on. It also means that I need to start saving again for a replacement Surly, so I guess I'll be picking up a beater bike for my cycling needs for the foreseeable future to put aside money for a new Surly.

I doubt inside job. Small building and we all know each other. I think the problem has to do with the fact that lock on the main door for the building hasn't been changed in at least 5 years, and our property manager has a penchant for sharing keys willy-nilly with contractors, etc. Who knows how many copies of that key are floating around? I've already contacted her to have the lock changed for everyone's sake and she's said she's already working on it.

I'll be keeping an eye out on CL posts in areas around here (Balt, Philly, Richmond, etc.) That's a good idea; I hadn't thought about casting that wide of a geographic net. Though I fear that the perp(s) will probably lie low with their quarry for a while before doing anything with it... long enough that no one except maybe me will still even care.