Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Our team is growing for this years Bike MS ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our team is growing for this years Bike MS ride.

I wanted to take a few minutes to reach out to the Bike Arlington community to talk about an upcoming ride for a charity and an event that is very close to my heart. This is not a personal solicitation but a mass appeal for riders.

This week is Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Week, as part of that the DC chapter of the MS society is having a Team Week Challenge, with bragging rights and prizes to the teams who bring on the most new or returning cyclists. Although this type of charity event is not competitive there is always some light competition among teams, at the end of the day though we are all working towards the same goal. A world free of MS.

For the last three years I have been riding with Team Trust. For the last two we have been the largest Family and Friends team raising the largest amount of money and having a great time doing it. For the last seven years this team has been headed by Shannon Trust, she has been living with MS for many years now juggling life, work, family, heading this team and managing daily treatments for this sometimes debilitating disease while making it look easy. She is truly an inspiring person and champion for this cause. Our team has at least three members who are fighting MS every day, and every member has a person they do for. My wife has been living with it for several years now and may not be able to participate in this years ride due to one foot balance troubles related to this, she is crushed that she may be physically unable to participate in this ride for a second year in a row.

We have been picking up riders from all over the DC metro area. While most of our training rides are in the Herndon area and west, we are looking to change that this year. I am looking to bring some training rides to the Alexandria area or joining up with a ride from the Oxon Hill Bike Club (who runs daily rides along segments of the Bike MS course, and a Bike MS supporting group). There are classes held by several of the sponsoring bike shops to teach the necessary skills most people need in order to feel that they can safely and efficiently complete a long distance ride like this. Also when we ride together there is often significant knowledge and equipment overlap, so if you loose, break, or damage something we can get you back up and running quickly.

If you are debating riding your first century this spring please consider joining our team we are open to cyclists of all skill levels and almost always ride together in a large pack (but not at pace line distances or speeds) for each of the distances where it is more about enjoying cycling outdoors and raising funds and awareness for a great cause. If you are a veteran of many centuries this is one not to be missed.

Here are a few links to information about Multiple Sclerosis, our team and the Nation MS Societies DC chapter.

What is MS?

Who is Team Trust

National MS Society- National Capitol Chapter

If there are any direct questions feel free to PM me. I may not know the answer but will find it. If you would like to join us on June 8 and or 9 feel free to register directly, contact Shannon (via the link above) or myself.

Thank you for you time and consideration.

All the best,

Steve

...Come on you know you wanna

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will be riding this year as preparation for another ride I am doing in September. I am planning on doing 60 miles Saturday and the Sunday ride as well. However, I am somewhat slow and not at all good at hills. And while I have done an almost 60 mile ride before, I have not done two long rides like that back to back.

One question I have for you- do you recommend staying at a hotel there or do you drive in each day?

Thank you!