Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Brrrrrr

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face Brrrrrr

    Don't mind me. Just bracing myself for the forecast tomorrow morning. Single digits baby!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I go into my utility room and stare at Sparky (my WSD Trek 1.something or other, I don't speak "bike.") and apologize for cheating on him with a spinning bike. I tell him it doesn't mean anything to me, it's just exercise not a relationship. I offer to clean his chain but he won't speak to me. Sigh. It has to go above 35 by Tuesday.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    . It has to go above 35 by Tuesday.
    But you'll have to disappoint Sparky again if we get the mixed bag rain/snow currently in the forecast for Tues/Wed!

    I keep telling myself that doing the Metro thing is too much like Wall-E......But I know my toes are going to disown me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ok... I just have one thing to describe the ride this morning.
    Let me see if I can find the right word.....

    COLD!!!!



    If anyone finds a set of fingers and toes on the W&OD about Falls Church or so they're mine! That's about where they snapped off.
    Left the house this am and the bank up the street was rocking 5 degrees displaying on the sign.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Seeing as I am attached to the idea of keeping my fingers and toes, I've been looking around for spinning bikes that are not under lock and key. The rec centers only allow access to the bikes during classes.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    George Mason has three spinners out and available for use in their RAC during normal business hours.
    If you don't like classes or your schedule doesn't accommodate classes, this is an option.
    The facility is not free but it is open to the public. More information is on their website.
    I don't think I'll mention it to Sparky, my bike with a jealous streak.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    If you don't like classes or your schedule doesn't accommodate classes, this is an option.
    The facility is not free but it is open to the public. More information is on their website.
    Great info, thanks. Unfortunately for me I live in Winchester, so GMU is just a bit inconvenient.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ballston - Rosslyn
    Posts
    3,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    Seeing as I am attached to the idea of keeping my fingers and toes, I've been looking around for spinning bikes that are not under lock and key. The rec centers only allow access to the bikes during classes.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    George Mason has three spinners out and available for use in their RAC during normal business hours.
    If you don't like classes or your schedule doesn't accommodate classes, this is an option.
    The facility is not free but it is open to the public. More information is on their website.
    I don't think I'll mention it to Sparky, my bike with a jealous streak.
    Get an inexpensive indoor trainer off of Craigslist and you and Sparky can be reunited AND stay warm!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    6.8F at the house when I left this morning at 0545. Roughly 5.2F out on the W&OD trail via. my Kestrel meter, and 12F according to the bank clock in McLean at 0700.

    When I arrived, my helmet straps were ice, my facemask was white with ice, and for the first time ever, the INSIDE of my jacket was ice. That's right, my sweat froze to the inside of my jacket. Winter commuting is like a daily science experiment isn't it!

    That all said, I was roasty warm due to very careful planning in my winter gear. Even after 20 miles, I was just fine.

    Today ties a 6 ride from Winter 2010 as my second coldest ride ever. Coldest was 4 in the Winter of 2009. Brrrrrrr!

    Mercifully, NO WIND!

    Stay warm!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vienna, VA
    Posts
    1,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am bike illiterate. Sometimes when I read the posts here I get the same feeling I get looking at a menu in a French restaurant, there I usually resort to pointing and mumbling.
    The combination of two nouns; Craig's List + trainer added to the adjective, cheap -- well makes me nervous.
    I glanced at trainers in LBS just before Christmas and the choices seemed broad.
    Any suggestions as to brand and/or type?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ballston - Rosslyn
    Posts
    3,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    I am bike illiterate. Sometimes when I read the posts here I get the same feeling I get looking at a menu in a French restaurant, there I usually resort to pointing and mumbling.
    The combination of two nouns; Craig's List + trainer added to the adjective, cheap -- well makes me nervous.
    I glanced at trainers in LBS just before Christmas and the choices seemed broad.
    Any suggestions as to brand and/or type?
    A quick Google search provides this primer which has some good pointers to get you started: http://www.ehow.com/how_14092_buy-bike-indoor.html

    A couple brands worth checking out would be: Cycleops, Kurt Kinetic, and Blackburn.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •