Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia House of Delegates Considering "3-Feet to Pass" Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virginia House of Delegates Considering "3-Feet to Pass" Bill

As some of you may know, Virginia is the only jurisdiction in the Capital area that doesn't require motorists to give cyclists at least 3 feet of clearance when passing them (it is presently 2 feet). Delegate David Toscano has introduced a bill - House Bill 1683 - to help bring Virginia's cyclists an expanded margin of safety. A similar bill died in the House last year, so it's important that Virginia's Delegates hear how important it is to their constituents. A list of the bill's co-patrons can be found here (all of Arlington's Delegates have signed on as co-patrons), and if your delegate is on that list, it would be nice to send a note of thanks (see my example to Del. Hope, below). If they're not on the list, please urge them to support it. FABB has a very helpful "talking points" post here.

Note: the bill died last year pretty much along party lines. There is no reason this should be seen as a partisan issue, and I urge those of you with Republican delegates to make an extra effort to reach out to them and make this point. Road safety is a universal issue.

Dear Delegate Hope:

I am writing to express the appreciation of the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee for your co-patronage of House Bill 1683 being carried by Del. Toscano. As you know, Arlington has worked hard to become a bicycle friendly community, and Virginia's cyclists deserve basic safety on our roads. We thank you for your help in this effort to help educate motorists to pass cyclists with a wider margin of error and thereby reduce the number of fatalities and serious injuries to cyclists.

Sincerely,

Mark Blacknell
    Chair
    Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee

Post Thanks / Like

I sent a letter to Mark Keam this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Maybe I won't get my left elbow bashed around so much now!

Post Thanks / Like

Elbow! Rats, I knew there was something wrong with my technique. I am just glad it would be my elbow that gets clipped and not my hip. Wish I had that line when I wrote that letter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hurry up and pass that law. A Suburban clipped my elbow again this morning approaching a red light.

Fun part is that I was riding on the shoulder. What a jerk.

Post Thanks / Like

May not want to refer to Arlington for Fairfax, Loudoun, et al respondees. Many in one particular party at the Statehouse refer to "the People's Republic of Arlington"...

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are ok. Elbows are overrated, heads are not. My favorite are minivans, the guided missiles of the road. I swear, instead of having heat-seeking technology they have bike-seeking. I can look over my shoulder and see one coming up on me, no matter what I do they wind up in my face. Maybe I will send another letter...

Post Thanks / Like

Posted a column about the three feet to pass law (House bills are dead, only hope is that Senate bill passes and succeeds in the House after crossover). Immediate reaction from commenter telling cyclists to get off the road. It's like clockwork.
    Last edited by Mark Blacknell; 02-02-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Doh. Wrong link. Fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blacknell View Post
    The link takes me to a story on Redskins owner Dan Snyder. Interesting read, but am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Doh. At least you now have more evidence of what you already knew: Danny Snyder is an idiot child.

(Well, that and I'm not very good at paying attention to my own links.)