Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: L St. Cycletrack Woes this morning

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    You got a two-fer today! Er, not you, but the cyclist in front of you.
    I think this video shows how American drivers are still not used to bike lanes/cyclists sharing the road. It's probably also an indication of how much they do not pay attention to what is going on around them.

I like the design of the 15th street cycletrack instead.

Perhaps it is time to re-think the L street cycletrack? I haven't ridden it yet but it seems like riding with traffic may be a much better idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elcee View Post
    For me, it just doesn't pay to bike aggressively; if I wanted to go quickly, it's almost better to be on the street among the cars.
    elcee is exactly right. The analogy I make is that before cycletracks, L Street was like a frogger game and after cycletracks, it's like a lazy river ride. If you have no expectation of going fast, it's actually okay. If you want to play frogger, you can still take the lane and are entitled to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Perhaps it is time to re-think the L street cycletrack? I haven't ridden it yet but it seems like riding with traffic may be a much better idea.
    I would disagree -- I never minded riding with traffic but I like the cycletrack better and default to that now (except when I have to swing out into traffic around a trash truck). I think there are upsides and downsides to both. Riding in traffic through that stretch is no piece of cake, especially for beginners.

This is probably a conversation I should be having with WABA staff and my fellow LCIs, but I think the Confident City Cycling curriculum would benefit from some discussion of how to avoid the pitfalls of cycletrack use (jnva's video would be a good case study).

Liz

3. Likes KelOnWheels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please use the videos as you want, that's why I'm making them! I hate to admit this, but I always hang behind other bikers on the cycle track. I think it makes both bikes more visible to cars. I also do this on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Forum newbie here- had a great L St. cycletrack interaction on my way home last night: A car was blocking the bike portion of the merge so I and some others were waiting for them to clear. A fire truck was next to us and he had his window down- He said it was rude of them to block the lane, to which I agreed and he then proceeded to get on his megaphone telling the car that they were blocking the lane- "Hagerstown Honda Plate ____, you are blocking the bike lane and being rude!" Awesome.

6. ELITE mello yello, Dickie, ebubar, Subby, brendan and 1 others ELITED this post
    jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Note to all forum newbies - THIS is how you join the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarici View Post
    Forum newbie here- had a great L St. cycletrack interaction on my way home last night: A car was blocking the bike portion of the merge so I and some others were waiting for them to clear. A fire truck was next to us and he had his window down- He said it was rude of them to block the lane, to which I agreed and he then proceeded to get on his megaphone telling the car that they were blocking the lane- "Hagerstown Honda Plate ____, you are blocking the bike lane and being rude!" Awesome.
    Welcome, Xarici.

8. ELITE KelOnWheels ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The strange thing about the L St. cycletrack is that I found it awkward to set up for a right turn. You have to leave the track and then cut across a couple of lanes of traffic. I'm much more accustomed to biking on the right-hand side of a street, then cutting across to make a left turn; I think my neck is more flexible looking to the left and back than to the right.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xarici View Post
    Very cool story!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elcee View Post
    The strange thing about the L St. cycletrack is that I found it awkward to set up for a right turn. You have to leave the track and then cut across a couple of lanes of traffic. I'm much more accustomed to biking on the right-hand side of a street, then cutting across to make a left turn; I think my neck is more flexible looking to the left and back than to the right.
    I had trouble with that as well. I ended up just putting the pedestrian hat on and using the crosswalk to go south. There's a bike staging area in front of eastbound traffic at some intersections, but what happens if you try to get there from the cycletrack and the light changes on you?

At this point, I try to remember to get over in traffic a block or two early. And I remain confused.

Plus merging into the general traffic lanes from the cycletrack feels more dangerous than merging from traffic lane to traffic lane. I doubt the cars expect me to come over from the left, ever.

Brendan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post

Plus merging into the general traffic lanes from the cycletrack feels more dangerous than merging from traffic lane to traffic lane. I doubt the cars expect me to come over from the left, ever.
    Yah, I just ended up channeling my inner Cavendish.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I often look behind on both sides, so hopefully my neck isn't getting even more jacked up than it already is. I already spent 25+ years looking the wrong way whilst driving/riding, right?