Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Balance Bike opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    The discrepancy is probably worse for "how much can we each lift".
    I love a good meme.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this thread has really grown. I had something written, then work got in the way. Lots of good advice and experiences so far. Here goes my 2 cents.

When the twins were 4 when I took pedals off a 12" kids bike. They had a little trouble with the weight at first, but after about a month they figured it out.

Their younger sister got a Chicco Red Bullet when she was 3 and the light weight really helped get her going quickly. The plastic wheels did fine on just about any pavement. It was nice that it would fit in the back of the trailer. She rode around on that thing for a good 6 months until I put her on a 12" bike with pedals. The hardest part after that was getting her to use the coaster brake instead of putting her feet down.

My son just got a Strider for his 2nd birthday. I figured he'd be on it for over a year and wanted something that would grow with him. He likes it, but hasn't had a chance to ride much. Definitely gonna look into the real tires/wheels when he is older.

Can't wait until the weather is better so we can all cruise around the neighborhood.
    Last edited by jopamora; 02-25-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has this video been posted yet?

Jack rides to school.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    As an aside, there must be a market out there for a kids bike with a weight proportional to it's size... yes I get that kids bikes get worked but "respect the bike" is already a mantra in my
    house...
    I wonder if bamboo could provide a solution...

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Has this video been posted yet?

Jack rides to school.
    Mmmm... stagnant pond water.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me think of the creative solutions they use for kids with disabilities. Someone invented a slightly cone-shaped roller to replace a back wheel. It doesn't tip over, and also turns faster when tipping sideways, correcting the tip. They've done the camp a few times in Arlington. My daughter did it once (she's not off training wheels yet but it's mostly because she's more interested in Pokemon than bikes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMrZEuiRMaw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Mmmm... stagnant pond water.
    It's stagnant pond water in British Colombia, gotta be better than free flowing water in the Potomac...

I wanna start over and live in Squamish...

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    It's stagnant pond water in British Colombia, gotta be better than free flowing water in the Potomac...
    I hope that's not the limits of our options.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Strider and so does my just turned 3 year old boy.

It's light and well put together. I (170lbs) have ridden it by standing on the chain stays and it's solid as a rock. The tires and wheels may look a little cheap but they do the job and hold my weight without any sign of issues.

They have a funny marketing video about how your life would turn out if you rode a tricycle instead. which involves punching your boss and then moving back home due to pent up frustration! Trouble is I can't find it on the net right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the funny strider bike video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPOCwixDfnw