Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction, and request for tips locking in a shared bike cage

Post Thanks / Like

Where we live now they have a bike room that is in one of the condo buildings and then in a locked basement type room. So it requires two keys just to get into the room. So my bigger problem is less the securing of the bike and more that there are tons of people who leave their bikes in the first row and then never ride them. I even put a note on one once for a month saying, "if you're not planning to ride frequently, could you kindly leave the front row open?" A month later, I realized the bike hadn't moved and I decided to check their tire pressure, which was of course flat given they probably hadn't ridden in months, if not a year. But I guess that's a better problem than worrying about the security of my bike. The woman above us has a very nice road (or maybe it's touring) bike that she lugs up to her place every time she rides.

KLizotte is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

This was posted to the Feds On Bikes listserv yesterday:

Bike theft is a problem worldwide and last night our office building in Salem Oregon had a bike stolen from the bike cage from the parking garage.
    This is the second time a bike has been stolen from this same cage. After the first time a coded door lock was added to the inside and outside of the door and crossbars were added to the walls.
    Unfortunately, no crossbars were added to the door and thatís how thieves stole the bike.

The thieves used some sort of cutting tool to cut pretty thick metal mesh on the door and the bike lock (see below pics.)

Our building plans to add crossbars to the door just like the ones you can see on the cage walls. Sadly this is too late for the person who lost their $700 bike to theft last night.

So how do we mitigate bike theft risk? (Feel free to add to this suggestion list)

1. If you have to park your bike on the street then park and lock (with strong locks) your bike where there are people around all the time.
    2. If possible donít park your bike overnight or anywhere in an unattended location that it can be seen by potential thieves or known itís inside a bike box, etc any locks are easily cut.
    3. When you have time look at your bike parking situation. Even if you think it is very secure ask yourself if you had a high powered cutting tool where could you cut to remove a bike and where are the weak points of the secure bike parking and how would you fix those week points to help deter bike thieves?
    4. Suggest to whomever is in charge or your bike security to put up a camera that records. It might not prevent theft but could help in recovering the bike if police officers have a video of the thief.
    5. Ask your building and office manager if they will let you bring your bike inside your office (especially if you need to park it somewhere overnight.)
    6. Double lock your bike with good locks and lock your seat, etc. Yes grinder tools will still cut these but it could prevent a casual thief without a cutting tool.
    7. Register your bike with local law enforcement and a national bike registration. (Iím not sure which registration is best? Anyone have suggestions on registration?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cage.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	13933

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cage 2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	13934

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggest to whomever is in charge of your bike security to put up a camera that records. It might not prevent theft but could help in recovering the bike if police officers have a video of the thief
    Hahahaha. My bike was stolen in August 2013. Upon looking around I noticed that the location was visible from a security camera of the adjacent office building. I spoke with the guard who put me in touch with management. Management was awesome and said they would be happy to coordinate with the police. I contacted ACPD's Heather Hurlock, who (at least at that time) coordinates the bike registration. I think she made some sort of perfunctory effort on my behalf, but I know that she never made contact with the management nor ever viewed the video. At that time there was a raft of bike thefts in Rosslyn, so even if they were unable to use the video to clearly identify the thief, they may have gotten a look at a vehicle that was used or something else that could have helped them track something down.
    So unless someone actually cares, a video camera is useless except possibly as a deterrent. In which case an empty video camera housing would be cheaper and just as effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    In which case an empty video camera housing would be cheaper and just as effective.
    This is probably an irrelevant aside, but just be aware that doing this opens the property owner up to huge liability/damages in the case of a more serious crime or accident in which the victim would have a reasonable expectation of security or investigation from the "fake" camera. One of those "burglar sues you for falling through your skylight" kind of situations, among others more rightful and serious.
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 02-23-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: so says a security director I once talked to when the subject came up once

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should just find the most compact and visually pleasing way to keep the bikes in your apartment, and make it up to your wife either by selling one of the three or getting rid of something else that is "yours" and takes up space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I think you should just find the most compact and visually pleasing way to keep the bikes in your apartment, and make it up to your wife either by selling one of the three or getting rid of something else that is "yours" and takes up space.
    Do not, however, sell the wife. In spite of what you may read in this forum, she is more important than the bike.

7. Likes vvill, chuxtr, drevil liked this post