Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Arlington Loop

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    annandale.

I dislike all the routes east from Annandale. Taking them back west, when Im tired, and its getting late (Im slower than most of you seem to think) is very unpleasant.
    The ride up Hummer/Annandale Rd to Falls Church is pretty decent for a major road. The wide shoulder and wide traffic lane help a lot. At Arlington Blvd I take the service road over to Cherry St. and then up to the trail by the EFC metro. And the ride is faster than the 3A.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    The ride up Hummer/Annandale Rd to Falls Church is pretty decent for a major road. The wide shoulder and wide traffic lane help a lot. At Arlington Blvd I take the service road over to Cherry St. and then up to the trail by the EFC metro. And the ride is faster than the 3A.
    A. The one time I tried that I found extensive sections where the shoulder was taken up by parked cars. The travel lane was not wide enough for me to feel comfortable, given the speed and volume of traffic.

B. Its not just time, but energy. I've only done a couple of rides quite this long since I took up riding again last spring. And was bushed at the end of each. Yes, Im not in the best shape. It probably doesnt help that even in the spring summer fall I was not riding more than twice a month - and I have not ridden more than 5 miles on one day since early December. And I am over 20 lbs overweight. And my bike is a heavy wide tired MTB. And Im still getting the hang of this whole cadence thing.

C. Im not sure I could beat the 3A. See B.

D. thanks for the cherry street idea if I ever try that again. I tried to go through Seven corners to the ped bridge to john marshal-mckinley, and had to deal with one nasty hill south of Seven Corners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
    Yes, did you notice that the water in Four Mile Run was flowing the other way on your way west? That's always a sign. Water is smart like that.
    Yes, I am stupider than water.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acl View Post
    Yes, I am stupider than water.
    But like I said, water is really smart, so that's not such a bad thing, relatively speaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you ever choose to go counter-clockwise around the Arlington Loop, I hope you can enjoy it like I did last Sunday: http://youtu.be/l0tONLAbVUw

I meant to upload it earlier in the week, but got sidetracked, and then there was the coincidence of this thread popping up!

Post Thanks / Like

l rode the loop today. Clockwise, starting and finishing at W&OD and Columbia Pike. I took a picnic lunch along, not realizing at first how cold it would be - so I ate that at Rosslyn Metro Mall.

Some thoughts:

1. I definitely felt the uphill on the W&OD, but still a good warmup I guess.

2. Even eastbound, I found Custis challenging in spots.

3. The geese on the MVT were uninterested in my bell.

4. The last few miles, from the intersection of MVT and 4MRT to the end of my ride, there were some pretty strong winds, which somehow seemed always to be in my face.

5. I'm glad I used the 16B bus to get between Annandale and Arlington, as I was bushed at the end of my ride.

I felt pretty good about having done it, especially on a day like today.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 02-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you could do it on a brutally windy and cold day like today, you'll have no problem on a normal day!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add a congratulations to my note for your first time doing the Loop! It's a good ride, and a great introduction to the Arlington trails.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    If you could do it on a brutally windy and cold day like today, you'll have no problem on a normal day!
    This.

Today was cold and the wind on the Potomac was impressive. I was down 2 or 3 gears while leaning into today's wind. A lot of the charm of the Arl loop is not there in a day like today was.