Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Need route advice using Beach Dr in RCP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need route advice using Beach Dr in RCP

Is there anyone familiar with Beach Dr from Broad Branch Rd and Klingle Rd during the morning commute? I'm considering biking to work in the Petworth area but the only way to get there is to use Beach Dr along this section. I know there is a bike path that parallels Beach Dr. but I can't use it because it doesn't have access to the intersections that I need to go through (Blagden Ave or Piney Branch Pkwy). I'm particularly concerned with having to squeeze through queued traffic at some of the sections because Beach Dr is only one lane and it's fairly narrow to begin with.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

What is your starting point (or general area for privacy)? I'm guessing that you want to go either from Broad Branch to Blagden or from Klingle to Piney Branch and that you want to use the Rock Creek Park trail for part of your trip.

While I am not familiar with commuting through there, I would choose the Broad Branch to Blagden Ave option from the trail. Blagden Ave has a better side path than Piney Branch, and because the side path is on the right side when going uphill, you won't have car headlights shining in your eyes as badly as you would on Piney Branch (left side going uphill).
    Last edited by bobco85; 02-06-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: adding piney branch detail

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a daily commuter through RCP, but going against the commuting flow (north in the morning, south in the evening). The traffic on the road really depends on the time of your commute. Prior to 6:45 am, the worst backup is where Beach Drive meets Rock Creek Parkway. The stop and go traffic can extend beyond the zoo entrance. By about 7:15, expect heavy stop and go traffic between Broad Branch and Piney Branch due to the red light at Park and the stop sign at Piney Branch. After Piney Branch, it flows pretty smoothly down to the parkway, but expect lots of cars.

If you want to take the trail, you can take Bladgen and jog north for a bit to catch the trail at Broad Branch. If you take Piney Branch, you can go south to Klingle Road and get on the trail there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I'll be coming down from Conn Ave so ill probably be using a portion of the bike path until I have to take Beach Rd. I guess Blagden is probably the best choice for me even If it means dealing with that intersection at Beach and Blagden in order to get to the bike path. I was just wondering if its really a pain to deal with that crossing..it seems like there's a lot of traffic coming from all directions. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have only done the Beach circuit once in rush hour, but it didn't really bother me too much as folks on Beach are pretty accustomed (imo) to sharing the road. The only part I hated is the tunnel.