Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike to Work Day 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Good idea, but why a place like Ballston for a park and ride "facility"? There are areas with free parking located near the trails. Westover park? Bluemont park? The parking lot over I-66? The could potentially be co-located with a pit stop and could encourage such driving and riding behavior.
    Those are really good ideas too. I think I said Ballston just because it is right off 66, well known to most people, even those not from Arlington, near an existing pit-stop, there is a lot of parking, and I was fairly sure the county owned the lot. I also thought perhaps the county would like the idea of attracting people into a commerce center. You figure maybe people eat something or grab a drink in Ballston on the way home or something like that.

That being said, some of your ideas are really good too, I just hadn't thought about them. Like a park-and-ride pit-stop, I could see that being very effective, because that could be a long term solution for people (if its free every day, folks might realize how easily they can do it). The only bad part about parks is that there probably isn't security at the parking lot, though the Mall some may say has none either.

Post Thanks / Like

Registration has opened

http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Question Route Suggestion: Manassas to Falls Church Convoy!

I can't find information on the website to add a convoy, but I'd like to suggest the following route from Yorkshire Elementary School to Merrifield Mosaic District Pit Stop (15.8 miles), and continuing on to the W&OD towards DC. I envision leaving Yorkshire around 5:15 am, leaving Merrifield at 6:40, and arriving at Freedom Plaza around 8:00.

http://goo.gl/maps/x0qrc

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    I can't find information on the website to add a convoy, but I'd like to suggest the following route from Yorkshire Elementary School to Merrifield Mosaic District Pit Stop (15.8 miles), and continuing on to the W&OD towards DC. I envision leaving Yorkshire around 5:15 am, leaving Merrifield at 6:40, and arriving at Freedom Plaza around 8:00.

I think if you email WABA they'll be happy to add another convoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post

Yorkshire is where my wife works, very cool. She said she sees two folks in the a.m. many days riding on Old Centerville/616, perhaps it's you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yorkshire is where my wife works, very cool. She said she sees two folks in the a.m. many days riding on Old Centerville/616, perhaps it's you?
    Not it. I've done it a couple times, but usually take the bus to WFC to bike to DC. Absent that, I take Sudley to Lee Hwy. It's too much for me to bike from M-sas to DC every day, but it can be done!

Post Thanks / Like

BTWD 2013.pdf

Here is a BTWD flyer for your use.

8. Likes KelOnWheels liked this post
    consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    BTWD 2013.pdf

Here is a BTWD flyer for your use.
    This has been up on my cubicle for a couple of weeks, every now and then someone even asks me about it. My cubicle colleague told me yesterday he was going to cycle to work on BTWD (from the Idylwood area of west Falls Church).
    Last edited by consularrider; 04-10-2013 at 10:47 AM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point. It's going up on my door now.

11. ELITE Steve ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Argh! I cannot print your modern technicolor PDFs on our crappy color printer!