Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sram Apex Build

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1/8th! I was looking for a Steamroller when I was getting my fixie/ss build. I ended up going with a Bianchi San Jose. But I'm definitely diggin' the Steamrollers, especially with a colorful CK headset ; )

Post Thanks / Like

The steamroller is one of my favorite bikes and, if I had to choose, I would keep it instead of any of my other bikes. With 32mm cross tires (with loads of clearance left over) and appropriate gearing, this is the bike I can use in bad weather, on the C&O, or just tooling around with my family on the way to the market (or wherever), or for everyday commuting.
    At this point, the only thing I would change is the headset, but the FSA on there now works just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0159.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0160.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	200  

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Steamroller my friend. Is that a Salsa fork? I also have the bullhorns on my fixie/ss. Very nice build.

Ah, another Toupe guy - took some getting used to but it's now my favorite saddle.

What's the gearing on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Actually, I just happened to have the Salsa cap lying around and threw it on because it more or less matched and is nicely made. Frame and fork are Surly. The original idea was to try to build up a beater fixie using as many recycled parts as I could. You can guess how well that went. The Sugino and the tugnut were surplus stuff I had lying around, but pretty much everything else ended up getting replaced with something nicer and newer.
    Gearing is 46x17. I actually put an 18 tooth freewheel on the other side thinking I might want it for snow, but I have never used it and have since decided that I prefer the control offered by the fixed cog.
    Toupes truly rock.
    Last edited by OneEighth; 01-12-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Forgot my manners.

Post Thanks / Like

Well your spare components made for a super nice build! Well done!

My San Jose is also 46x17 and I found it fine for just about everything in the immediate area. I was riding it fixie until last summer, now I'm riding it SS with the same gearing. Not as much fun as riding it fixie though...

Post Thanks / Like

With the heavy build and the cross tires, the 46x17 has worked really well. It is also a good ratio for the hills around here.
    It's 2 to 3 mph slower than my fair-weather fixie, but hey.