Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conditions for biking, 1/28/13

Post Thanks / Like

Default conditions for biking, 1/28/13

Just rode in on streets through Montgomery County, DC, Arlington.
    Conditions seemed fine.
    Slightly damp but no slippery spots.
    I guess 7 layers of salt did the trick!
    I was mostly on street. Trails are probably less salted, so take care there.
    Enjoy your ride, biking vikings!

Post Thanks / Like

There was so much salt on the roads that there was a haze of salt over 66 yesterday. Every time a truck went by you could see a cloud of dust rising behind it. I can only imagine what this is doing to the metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eatough View Post
    Trails are probably less salted, so take care there.
    The trail from the Pentagon to just past the southbound GW Parkway is salted. (It was completely dry when I rode in.)

Post Thanks / Like

Roosevelt Island boardwalks are very icy. People couldn't even walk on them when I rode through. W&OD west of Columbia Pike was icy. East of The Pike and the 4-mile Run connector were mostly just wet. MVT from National Airport was slushy on the bridges, but otherwise good.

Post Thanks / Like

WO&D was mainly slow slush but got really ugly over some of the Reston bridges. Roads were all good, even in Loudoun. My problem was slush turning to ice under my fenders (and between my toes...)

500th post! About Slush! Yay!

Post Thanks / Like

Out in the suburbs (FFX/Burke) A little slushy/slippery but not too bad if I kept my speed down and maintained a straight line. Sidewalks slippery.

From Pentagon to Jefferson Memorial/14th street bridge - roads just wet, boardwalk bridge and slate paths at LBJ garden/Marina - slippery but okay.
    hump back bridge, slushy, MVT/14th St Bridge intersection - just wet, 14th street bridge-slushy, Stone curb cuts guarded by orange cones, very slippery, streets downtown, just wet, with pea gravel that remains behind when the salt in the salt blend dissolves.

Very few cars on the roads -
    Very few other bikes on the roads -

Post Thanks / Like

East Capitol St. and the Pennsylvania Ave. cycletracks in fine shape. Nothing but a few slushy spots through the Capitol grounds.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Streets in Arlington are covered by would-be truants. I can't believe schools were called off for this. Streets (and sidewalks!) were just wet at 7:30 this morning. And yet.. the feds say stay off the roads until 10 am!

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Custis looked like it got salted some over the weekend, but it was still mostly slushy with patches of ice in parts. Coming down into Rosslyn the slush was pretty thick on the blacktop sections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Streets in Arlington are covered by would-be truants. I can't believe schools were called off for this. Streets (and sidewalks!) were just wet at 7:30 this morning. And yet.. the feds say stay off the roads until 10 am!
    The decision has to be made hours ahead of time. In previous ice events, there have been numerous deaths because things weren't delayed and people were out on the roads. They make the best decision they can based on the data available. Here, at least, the temperature was right at freezing this morning. Another degree or two cooler, and things would have been very different.