Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia Legislation Action Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

So it sounds like in Virginia we are getting two steps back and no steps forward on cycling-related bills.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes zero sense at intersections where bikes outnumber cars. There are main commuter throughways where this is a reality.

Why isn't there an assumption that cars stop when a pedestrian or cyclist is within 10 feet of an intersection? Why couldn't there be a painted box on the edge of an intersection? If there is a pedestrian or cyclist within the box, the motorist should have a duty to stop.

Or, another possibility, one that seems to work at Mason, are raised pedestrian walkways. They are like speed bumps but used to slow traffic to allow pedestrians to cross.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, nothing's done until it's done, but I think that it's worth putting some effort into supporting both SB1060 (following too closely + 3 foot passing) and SB736 (dooring) when they get to the House.

(Also, if you're a constituent of Sen. Favola's, I'd put a reminder on my calendar to let her know how disappointed I was in her patroning a bill that will do nothing more than introduce confusion and enable harassment.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blacknell View Post
    Well, nothing's done until it's done, but I think that it's worth putting some effort into supporting both SB1060 (following too closely + 3 foot passing) and SB736 (dooring) when they get to the House.

(Also, if you're a constituent of Sen. Favola's, I'd put a reminder on my calendar to let her know how disappointed I was in her patroning a bill that will do nothing more than introduce confusion and enable harassment.)
    Yes, I was surprised that was introduced by an Arlington Dem, it seemed much better suited to a down-state Republican.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, today is Ride Richmond's Bicycle Action Day. Can't beat doing this stuff in person, but a close second is supporting them with your calls & emails today and tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps if the bill is referred to as the "Favola Cyclist Harassment Bill" it would get some attention.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, today is Ride Richmond's Bicycle Action Day. Can't beat doing this stuff in person, but a close second is supporting them with your calls & emails today and tomorrow.
    And you get such nice weather!

Post Thanks / Like

From our excellent Ride Richmond friends on the ground:

"SB736 was debated but successfully passed out of House Transportation Sub-committee #2. The legislation could be heard by the full House Transportation Committee as early as tomorrow, though we are hopeful it will not be until next week."

Post Thanks / Like

From WABA:
    Tomorrow, SB 736 will be heard in the full transportation committee of Virginia’s House of Representatives. SB 736 would make it illegal in Virginia to “open the door of a motor vehicle on the side adjacent to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so.” A violation would constitute a traffic infraction punishable by a fine no more than $100.
    We’ve written about the dooring bill here previously and have urged you, if you’re a Virginia resident, to take action to support it. Thanks in part to your dedicated and vocal support, SB 736 passed the House’s transportation subcommittee, where it was voted for by delegates Richard Anderson and J. Randall Minchew.
    We appreciate any additional support you can give to SB 736 in advance of its hearing tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. Constituents of delegates Anderson and Minchew should express thanks for their support of the bill in subcommittee, and constituents of Thomas Rust and Barbara Comstock should reiterate that their support is needed for this bill, which would make dooring illegal.

The list of legislators can be found here. http://dela.state.va.us/dela/MemBios...iteTL?OpenViewhttp://http://dela.state.va.us/dela/...iteTL?OpenView
    Last edited by acc; 02-11-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

SB736 (anti-dooring bill) failed on a tie vote (ties fail) in the House Transportation Committee. Dels. Comstock and Anderson were curiously absent, as was - I believe - Minchew (who had voted for it in subcommittee). Report by Virginia Bike Federation's Bud Vye is here. I don't have anything helpful to add except for surprise at the willful ignorance of Del. Garrett and spite of Del. Cox (who, by the way, makes his living off the public roads as owner of a trucking company). So this bill is dead for the year. And probably next year, too, unless we can find a Republican to patron it (that's just how Virginia rolls).

SB959 (Favola's redundant enforcement at path/road intersections) flew right through, with the committee not even giving her a chance to speak in support. I had a very direct conversation with Sen. Favola in hallways after. This bill will almost certainly be bundled up with others as part of a unanimous block vote in the next few days. It's as good as passed.

As I type this, the fate of SB1060 (three foot to pass, following too closely) is being decided in House Transportation Sub #2 (domain of the aforementioned Del. Cox). I'll update when I've got word.

I appreciate everyone's action and support over the past few weeks.