Thread: Mount Vernon Trail at Jones Point Park

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mount Vernon Trail at Jones Point Park

From an email from NPS:

The Mount Vernon Trail just south of Ford's Landing is closed due to damage to a small wooden bridge. Both sides of the bridge were damaged and is unsafe. Trail users are advised to use Royal Street is the alternate route for the Mount Vernon Trail.
    I'll follow up for more details.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a PDF that was forwarded to me. The City of Alexandria will be putting out message boards today to re-route folks through Alexandria.

MVT closure.pdf

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It was just fine on Saturday and Monday. Is the NPS saying what caused the damage? I recall maintenance trucks being driven over them and causing damage, I can't think of what else would have happended at that location.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    It was just fine on Saturday and Monday. Is the NPS saying what caused the damage? I recall maintenance trucks being driven over them and causing damage, I can't think of what else would have happended at that location.
    Amazing that the trucks could get thru, what with the 500 bollards around that park.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI--the bridge has been repaired and the trail is re-opened through here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bridge damage

It looked like a few boards on one side of the bridge were damaged. This would be consistent with a heavy vehicle, but you'd have to be a determined idiot to get a motor vehicle there. The trail starts at a curb cut at the end of S Union and takes an abrupt left. Then goes straight for a 100-150 yards before taking a sharp right to the bridge.

No need for bollards here since it's not under the WWB.

Glad it was repaired so I can avoid the dance of the Catholic SUVs at St Mary's in the morning