Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thelma and Louise on Bikes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thelma and Louise on Bikes

Sometimes what seems like a rational thought inside my head becomes a completely stupid idea when it’s said out loud. When Eminva told me she was thinking about taking a run at a 200-mile event this summer I was supportive after I giggled enough to choke on my wine. But she confessed she felt bad about letting her teammates down in some Freezing Saddles thing-a-ma-jig. So I blurted out, “Hey, we could ride a super century in January when we have some time off after the holidays.” My rational mind heard this and started to shriek. But it was too late. Eminva was nodding her head.

The idiocy was suddenly clear. A self-supported super century requires skilled planning. Those are two words I detest. But the night before I pulled it together and went to the grocery store to pack a picnic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4927.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	2278

We left my car at the Vienna Community Center filled with food, extra clothes, a floor pump, extra tubes, gallons of fluids, back up lights and most importantly, a bottle of champagne and two champagne flutes. It was a veritable 7-11 on wheels.

Then we did loops that progressively became smaller as the day wore on. Out to Leesburg and back. Then we went out to Mount Vernon and back. Finally, in the dark, we staggered out to Herndon and back. We stayed on the trails to cut down on interacting with cars and to keep navigation to a minimum. I pedal better than I think, that’s pretty obvious.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4931.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	2279

Oh, and we juggled two kids. We had to start and stop according to when a kid needed to be picked up and dropped off at school. The inconvenience of children cannot be overstated.

At the end of the day Liz ended up with 122 miles, I settled for 120. And because I am the worst navigator on the face of the earth, the last .2 of a mile were earned doing circles in the parking lot. But I didn’t care. I could already taste the champagne.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4935.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	2280
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	2281
    PS – We did have one flat tire. Being resourceful we rode a mile down the road to the Bike Lane in Reston. Now seriously, do you think we’d stand outside in the drizzle to change a rear tire ourselves when we could stand inside where it was warm and dry while watching someone else do it?
    Last edited by acc; 01-15-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Thanks to Dirt we had the opportunity to stop an unsuspecting stranger and explain we wanted a photo of the Anal Center.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunate head placement in that second photo, Ann....Pete has a similar photo from that same location.

And just 4.2 more miles would have gotten you a double metric century!
    Last edited by Tim Kelley; 01-15-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: First one to find Pete's photo get a gold star!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Unfortunate head placement in that second photo, Ann....Pete has a similar photo from that same location.

And just 4.2 more miles would have gotten you a double metric century!
    Love it, I definitely have to take the same photo. Maybe even start a new thread.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

So the big question is, how was getting out of bed the next day????

Congrats on your epic achievement.

Can any men out there juggle childcare responsibilities and a century plus?!

Post Thanks / Like

PPS: Rice cakes were abused. But not as much as McCoffee. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2284
    Last edited by acc; 01-15-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: One particular part of my body hurts. But we won't go into *that.*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    There have been many, many photos at that location. The original is the best, since the friend we had pose in the photo had NO idea why we were asking her to stand where she was. The noise (and food) that came out her mouth when she saw the final photo were priceless memories that I'll treasure for ever.

One of the other great photos also includes a rare shot of Aaron wearing a helmet.

Enough silliness. Truly amazing and inspirational ride!!!! You both rock!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I once rode a century during daycare hours, picked the baby up with the trailer afterwards, rode down to Crystal City, converted the trailer to a jogging stroller to run a Crystal City 5K (beating half the people there) and then rode home with the baby. Does I get points for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    There have been many, many photos at that location. The original is the best, since the friend we had pose in the photo had NO idea why we were asking her to stand where she was. The noise (and food) that came out her mouth when she saw the final photo were priceless memories that I'll treasure for ever.

One of the other great photos also includes a rare shot of Aaron wearing a helmet.

Enough silliness. Truly amazing and inspirational ride!!!! You both rock!
    Found one! http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedrogr...57627701551518

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    PPS: Rice cakes were abused. But not as much as McCoffee. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	2284
    Next time the two of you decide to do another epic ride, give us a head up, and we'll keep you fueled with some decent cappuccinos

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post

I had to walk my dog after riding the Civil War Century. He's three, so I'm just going to say it's basically the same thing.