Thread: Looking for used commuter bike w/ fenders, basket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for used commuter bike w/ fenders, basket

I'm looking to spend $75-$200 on a used bike for commuting and running errands.

My two requirements are: 1) full fenders and 2) a basket and/or rack good for carrying styrofoam box take-out food. A chainguard would be a plus.

I want the bike to look as crappy as possible. Anything that will make it unappealing to thieves. I plan to go all out making the fenders and rack/basket difficult to remove. Perhaps using stainless steel zip-ties; rubber cement or other products to make it so thieves can't remove headsets, wheels, etc. I'll be locking the bike up outdoors the majority of the time, to avoid having to carry it up two flights of stairs. If I can get one solid year out of the bike before it is stolen or severely vandalized I'll be a happy camper.

Anybody have anything along these lines?

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an obvious question, but I gotta ask it: have you considered a Capital Bikeshare membership? Many of these issues go away using those bikes. If that doesn't meet your needs, you should check out VeloCity and Phoenix Bikes; they fix up used bikes and sell cheap. Unfortunately neither are close to metro (presumably they are both on bus lines) or you could use a bikeshare to check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

It's slightly above your range but Revolution Cycles might still be clearing out their rental bikes from City Hub at their Clarendon Store. I think they have everything on your list and come with a lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    It's an obvious question, but I gotta ask it: have you considered a Capital Bikeshare membership? Many of these issues go away using those bikes. If that doesn't meet your needs, you should check out VeloCity and Phoenix Bikes; they fix up used bikes and sell cheap. Unfortunately neither are close to metro (presumably they are both on bus lines) or you could use a bikeshare to check them out.
    Ah yes, Capital Bikeshare. Funny enough, I recently purchased an annual membership. Riding around on the bikeshare bikes is part of my motivation to obtain my own "beater"/utility bike. I love bikeshare for destinations located near bikeshare stations, but sometimes I have to walk more than five minutes each way after docking. I'm looking forward to the additional stations that will be going in soon, but alas, DC is still quite spread out. Velocity and Phoenix Bikes are good suggestions. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I stumbled upon the photo of the bike below. This is pretty much my ideal bike (minus the quick release levers and the cable lock!). I imagine the Giant brand would make it expensive, however, so I'd be open to a less expensive brand.Name:  commuter bike.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  86.3 KB

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaHeights View Post
    I stumbled upon the photo of the bike below. This is pretty much my ideal bike (minus the quick release levers and the cable lock!). I imagine the Giant brand would make it expensive, however, so I'd be open to a less expensive brand.Name:  commuter bike.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  86.3 KB
    I would call Revolution Bikes if I were you. They were selling Trek Allants for about $200 not too long ago and those are good commuter bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I would call Revolution Bikes if I were you. They were selling Trek Allants for about $200 not too long ago and those are good commuter bikes.
    Thanks!