Thread: Some social rides and meetups this Saturday (Jan 12)

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some social rides and meetups this Saturday (Jan 12)

For those you looking for a group or ride buddy or meetup this Saturday (weather looks like sunny and mid-60s!), or looking to pad your Freezing Saddles mileage, here are a couple rides this weekend to consider:

1. Fast ride to Baltimore/Annapolis. Dustin and Ben and a couple other fast riders are planning to do a long base-mile ride Saturday. Meetup is at Proteus bike shop in College Park at 9:30am. Need to be self-supported, and expect 80+ miles at 15-19 mph. I think they're planning to go from Proteus to Baltimore for lunch/coffee on this route, then back to BWI and down to Annapolis on the trail system, then back to College Park on Route 450 and through the Bowie/Beltsville farms.

2. Regular Proteus 10am 20-25 mile ride in the Beltsville Farms/Patuxent Wildlife refuge. This is an intermediate ride at a moderate pace, no drop. This is a route that you can enjoy equally at a fast or slow pace -- sometimes we split up and meet back up at the turnaround/lunch, but I always stay with the last rider. Since the weather's so nice, we'll detour from this route to stop for lunch in Old Greenbelt on the way back. No need to bring a lock--we usually sit outside or watch the bikes through the window (it's safe).

3. Kids noodle ride meetup at Greenbelt Lake. This is a 2.5 mile ride on the wide hard-pack gravel/dirt track around the lake for young kids. Meetup is at 10am at the entrance to the Lake trail behind St. Hugh's church parking lot (by the bridge to the tennis/volleyball courts). David will be there with his little ones riding their new Christmas bikes! Again, this is not a supported or organized ride, just a meetup -- bring your own PB&J and drinks etc. The lake a great place for a warm-day January picnic.

Proteus is easy to get to from the Anacostia Tributary Trails (here's from Takoma Park; here's from DC, and .

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Calendar with other bike rides this weekend. http://windy-run.blogspot.com/p/test.html

PP has a D ride at Wakefield; maybe I will take my dog + trailer over there!

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The weather's so awesome that we decided last night to add a mountain bike ride on Sunday too. Meetup is at Proteus at 12:30pm, and we'll drive to or to Fairland park.

Last edited by Greenbelt; 01-11-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: find the fall...