Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rain Gear and rain bike care?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    Pete, do I remember correctly, or did you once extol the virtues of the Rapha rain jacket? I guess it is a little more expensive than the ones you mention above (though less expensive than the Assos, possibly). If so, did you change your mind?

Without researching any of the models mentioned in this or the similar thread, one of my pet peeves is that oftentimes the selection is much more limited for women, and certain models just aren't available for women.

Liz
    Liz - I have several rain jackets, and a Rapha rain jacket is one of them, though it is not the City Rain Jacket (which is supposedly crafted more for urban riding, vice road cycling) - the Rapha is typically well constructed, and quite waterproof, very form fitting, and expensive. I think the women's model is quite similar, and agree with you that gear crafted for females is generally lacklustre, Rapha is a conscientious exception. I don't think the Rapha lends itself well to layering, and I'd say the same about my Rapha softshell jacket, which is very water resistant, so I carry/wear these only on "roadie" rides, not commutes. When I commute, I use either a Showers Pass Transit jacket (lots of room, great for layering, tough, and easy to ventilate - construction is just a bit sketchy) or my Endura Flyte, which is sort of close fitting without leaving me no room to layer for fall/winter. I only bemoan its lack of ways to vent (pitzips, etc.)

Post Thanks / Like

So today I arrived at work and learned that I'm not allowed to bring my bike inside. There is no parking garage and the outdoor bike parking is uncovered. I got some platic bags to cover the saddle, handlebars and shifters. Any thoughts on if leaving the bike out in the rain is very bad for the bike, or just kind of bad? I will certainly dry it off, wipe down the chain, and lube the chain after work, I'm just wondering people's thoughts on it sitting in the rain all day. I'm not sure if I should buy a tarp of some kind to cover it on days like today. I sent an email to facilities to try to get the policy changed, but I'm not certain that will help at all.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Comfort-wise you have done just about everything you can. When you get home be sure to rag off your bike and spray some lube on the drivetrain and down cables. Unfortunately, this will lead to the viscious cycle of lube-grime build up, but it is hard to avoid that.