Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Edge 810 and Edge 510 released

Post Thanks / Like

I still use my FR305, but what will ultimately get me to upgrade is the live tracking feature on the new Edge computers. My wife worries when I'm out on a long ride sometimes and this would be an easy way to keep in contact. I would just want to see what the BT pairing and (relatively) regular data exchange between the phone and the Garmin does to my battery life. I can't use my phone as a GPS on long rides, so if this will eat my battery life, it won't do much for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Can fog disrupt satellite signals? I got alerts three or four times from my Garmin Edge 500 today that said low B3 or B4 or something like that (i didn't have my glasses on), followed by a four digit number. I thought it might be low battery, but when I got home, the battery was almost fully charged. I had no problem downloading my ride. The owner's manual doesn't mention anything like that. Has anyone else gotten those?
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 01-13-2013 at 09:33 PM.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

A GPS signal is a relatively weak signal that can be messed up by just about anything. Dont know what the error messages were, but yes, weather conditions can impact GPS signals.

Garmin and innovation

Garmin's business plan was that it was doing something that had a high barrier to entry and had little competition: mapping and navigation. Then came google and exploded that business model. Garmin use to sell Map updates for devices for like $100. Then you could buy like a years update for $100, sort of a subscription model. Now, map updates come free with the device. Because Google, Apple and Microsoft all offer maps. How would you like to be in a market against those three?

Traffic use to be a premium service that you had to buy on a subscription basis. But Google offers it for free. Now its free on Garmin as well (one time price up front with the purchase of the device)

Looking at the last annual report, in 2009 70 percent of Garmin's revenue came from automotive navigation. But now that comes built in and that, more than anything, competes with smart phones with google maps. Automotive made up just over 50% of garmin's revenue in 2011.

Over that time, outdoor and fitness has made up more and more of garmin's revenue. I would guess that is a form factor issue. Google maps dont yet go on your handlebar too well. I mean, what is the difference between a Garmin Edge and a Forerunner or an Oregon. It's not the computer. Its not the software. Its the form factor. There is no reason one device can do what a cyclist or a runner or a geocacher wants. The difference today is a handlebar or a watch or a backbpack.

So why dont Garmin devices improve that much? Well this is the theory of economic cannibalism. If they improve that much, they will do themselves out of the market. Make a device that can easily do running and cycling. Sure. But then they would lose revenue because people currently have to buy two devices or an expensive multisport. Will someone come out with a device in 2 years that can do this, with an efficient battery, based on google maps? Yup. The era of smart phones and smart small devices, is taking over single function devices (anyone still carry around a pocket camera any more)?

Garmin's revenue in 2007 was 2.7m. This is after three years of volatility and decline. It's hard to say what Wallstreet thinks. The stock is currently valued at 39.6, a value it first obtained in 2006. There was a huge spike in value going in 2008, and a crash - and then its been pretty flat.

Would not be surprised that Garmin's strategy is to get acquired by one of the bigger companies. It is going to be really hard for them to remain a stand alone navigation device company for much longer.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 01-13-2013 at 08:55 PM.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    The era of smart phones and smart small devices, is taking over single function devices (anyone still carry around a pocket camera any more)?
    I often still carry a separate "pocket camera", mp3 player, Garmin and a flip phone. And a bottle opener on my keychain. (But my 4 year old has a Nexus 7.)

FWIW, I like most of my devices a lot (I'm clumsy and I have dropped all four of those above on various hard surfaces many times with only minor bits of cosmetic damage - I've seen smartphones (or at least their screens) go kaputt much easier.) I like the Garmin's form factor for the bike, the battery life, tactile buttons, weatherproofing, and all the bike specific functions built in (including ANT+ for power meters).

Garmin has a decent size user base already so I don't think they will go under quite yet if they continue to produce hardier, purpose-built units. Ever since map data became freely available people have been predicting their demise. I wonder more about the market for traditional bike computer companies. I used to have a Sigma and several Cateyes and will likely never buy another non-GPS bike computer.

Also Garmin in the budding bike racer market has the niche of being a fair bit more affordable than SRM but still "pro".

Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

And then there was this......

Garmin Shares Tumble As Q4 Results Miss Expectations

Garmin seems to have lost its way.

The producer of navigation products this morning posted weaker-than-expected Q4 financial results and soft 2013 guidance, triggering a sell-off in the company’s shares.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think garmin is doomed. They need to figure out how to move from being a high-margin company to a low-margin company, and that's something the companies aren't good at (and that wall street rarely allows). I'd love a 510, but it's not worth that much to me. What I'd really like is a 200+, that captures data and then auto-syncs it to the cloud. I don't really want/need the fancy display, just the data collection. But if they were to release that, it would probably eat the market from the 5 & 8 series, and I don't know that they're willing/able to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    The interesting part (to me):

Automotive/Mobile segment decreased 25% to $437 million.
    Outdoor decreased 2% to $119 million.
    Fitness, the primary bright spot, increased 10% to $104 million.
    Aviation fell 2% to $70 million.
    Marine declined 9% to $39 million.
    Maybe this means Garmin will put some more R&D into the fitness department...

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 810. (Didn't have the 800). The cell phone integration is nice. I can invite my wife to "follow" me on the ride via her computer at home. She can tell where I'm at. This is a nice safety issue when I'm doing longer rides in the countryside. It's also nice when I bike down my home street and she and the kids are already waiting for me because they tracked me on the map.

The weather alerts needs to be tweaked. During one ride, it kept warning me every five minutes that there was a tornado warning (which was for later in the day, if I remember correctly). After I ignore the weather notice once, it should stay ignored. I hope they fix this.

- Shannon

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    Maybe this means Garmin will put some more R&D into the fitness department...
    The problem with big companies trying to downsize is that they have all the expenses (offices, layers of VPs, etc) of a big company, but the income of a little company. It's unlikely that the extra $10M from fitness products can fill the gaping hole of the $150M reduction in car GPSs. So maybe they'll pump money into fitness R&D to make a few more 10s of millions in that segment over the next few years, but the market would probably be happier if they simply milk the auto segment until it's dead (cutting R&D costs to boost the margin) and then liquidate whatever's left (sell the name to some company overseas).

Post Thanks / Like

Someone tweeted this. Have not used it yet. If it works - it would be sweet

Convert Google Maps directions into Garmin Courses

http://winthefight.org/cuegle/