Thread: Free frames!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Free frames!

Clearing out the basement for some construction work, and I have to admit that I'm not going to do anything with these things anytime soon. My loss, your gain:

Frame 1: Mid 70s lugged steel frame and fork w/ chrome socks. It's reportedly a CCM Allegro, but I haven't found enough information about it to say if that's true or not. It definitely takes a French headset (25mm instead of 1 inch), which would be consistent with the claim. (Headset not included...) I didn't get far enough to figure out if the bottom bracket is also French, but it's not included either. Velo Orange sells French dimensioned components, or there are workarounds. Frame size is about 60 cm, and it has nice long semi-horizontal dropouts. Current paint is a reliable orange. I bought it about 10 years ago to build up as a daily rider, but VO didn't exist and the parts were just about impossible to find.

Frame 2: Late 80s lugged steel Trek 660. Awesome tubeset on this one, TrueTemper Platinum in a classic Italian layout. This one comes with a sweet stem (Cinelli, I think) - mainly because it's frozen into the fork. That's no big deal unless you want to tweak the adjustment or swap in a new stem, at which point you're probably going to need to cut the fork out and replace it. Otherwise, I rode this for many road miles back when I thought I might have a chance to race, but I set it aside when I realized I was slow and fat and old. This one's also about 59-60 cm, and it includes a decent bottom bracket and early 90s Campy downtube shifters (Vittoria or Allegra, nothing fancy). The seat binder bolt is missing, and it may take a little scrounging to find the stem hardware but I know I have it. I'll throw in the Cinelli handlebars with this one too. Frame color is white with red and black touches, if that's important.

So both of these have their quirks, but they'd make decent bikes someday if you have the time and interest that I'm currently fresh out of. If nobody wants them by the end of the week they'll go into the dumpster

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd take one if they were even remotely close to my size, but alas. Will Phoenix Bikes take them? Seems better than throwing them away.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Velocity also takes donations.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested in the Trek 660 frame, although my wife is likely to kill me.

I note that there is someone on Craigslist that occasionally posts seeking a 60 cm (I think) Trek 660. Perhaps you can get some money for it.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Super tempting, but I don't think I have the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I'm interested in the Trek 660 frame, although my wife is likely to kill me.

I note that there is someone on Craigslist that occasionally posts seeking a 60 cm (I think) Trek 660. Perhaps you can get some money for it.
    I also thought of that Craigslist "*** Trek Road Bike 660 Wanted ***" guy when I saw this post. He has been posting literally for years, certainly as long as I can remember. I actually emailed him sometime last year to find out why he had been looking for this particular bike for so long. You'll never believe what it turned out to be: he had his 660 stolen and he's been posting ever since to see if he can retrieve it!

But who knows, maybe the guy is open to letting go of the past if he can replace his beloved old bike. You should email him:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...521544648.html

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krazygl00 View Post
    I also thought of that Craigslist "*** Trek Road Bike 660 Wanted ***" guy when I saw this post. He has been posting literally for years, certainly as long as I can remember. I actually emailed him sometime last year to find out why he had been looking for this particular bike for so long. You'll never believe what it turned out to be: he had his 660 stolen and he's been posting ever since to see if he can retrieve it!

But who knows, maybe the guy is open to letting go of the past if he can replace his beloved old bike. You should email him:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...521544648.html
    If it's the same guy, he also posts in the lost and found all the time. The bike apparently belonged to his dad, so it's a sentimental issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update

The basement work has begun, and they're moving pretty quickly. They started Thursday, and between the trash we left down there and the walls they took out they filled a dumpster by Friday.

Our first floor looks like the worst of a reality TV show, and I'd feel bad about it if I didn't feel so good about the stuff we've dumped and fitting the rest into half the space - though we've already misplaced a few things in the clutter. Not to mention, if all goes according to plan I'm finally going to have a dedicated indoor tinkering space - room for my woodworking, bikeworking, maybe even a little homebrew setup...

Once I saw how overstuffed the rest of the house was getting it wasn't hard to find a niche to stow these frames, so they've been spared from the scrap bin.

Based on the reported history of the "*** Trek Road Bike 660 Wanted ***" guy, I've emailed him. I'm sentimental too (which is why I still have this frame I bought in 1990 and haven't ridden since 2001) so this will be his if it helps. If not, I've had a couple of other folks express interest here too.

Things aren't looking as rosy for the CCM. Maybe the resuscitation of the NHL season will bring it some good associations and I can find it a home - or maybe it has a future as the first project in the new workspace.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello DSalovesh,

I just recently came across this thread about Free Frames. Whatever became of the Trek 660? Do you still have it? I have a 1982 Trek 510 but its a sport geometry and a bit too large (63cm). I'm interested in trying a racing frame. Please let me know either way. I am very interested.

Thank You,
    Edward Richards (Bikealot)