Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using TrainerRoad.com?

Post Thanks / Like

After I busted my arm and could get on the trainer, I became a fan of Sufferfest.

Each video takes you through a different series of slow spins, hard grinds, sprints, cool downs, etc. The video is of an actual race and there is usually some story behind what you're doing or goading messages like "Don't let that Euskie guy beat you at the top of the mountain!" or "The pack is gathering behind you, don't let them get you at the sprint!"

It's self motivated. Just watch the video and go. I just prop my laptop up in front of the bike.

When you are riding along there are different noises that will sound to tell you to either speed up, slow down, or get a new instruction so you don't have to stare at the screen the whole time. (Which is good because towards the end I usually have my head down and I'm whimpering.) They also have a graphic that tells you what cadence you should be doing at what intensity. And, the music is really good and matches well with what you're supposed to be doing.

There are slow down sections built in to catch your breath and grab your water bottle, but then it revs up soon thereafter.

By the way, the one that features women pro-racers is probably the toughest one I've done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    Since this post, I have joined trainer road and have been loving it. It has only been a four rides, but it has really made my trainer sessions more purposeful and considerably more challenging. I am not sure how it will equate in the end, but for now I am drenched when I finish a session. I have not downloaded any of the sufferfest or related videos, not sure how they work, but I am still content starring at my HR and power. Well worth the $10 so far.
    You have a good head start on me. My garmin ANT+ stick took a while to show up and I have only done the first fit test which is only 1 hour long with two 8 min intervals. Even after only one try I can see that Trainerroad will help with motivation. I see the bar change from green to red and that is reason enough to ramp up as needed. I seem to need a reason, real or not, for self imposed suffering. Gotta have a rabbit to chase I guess. As mentioned an hour with little seating change standong or coasting can make for a grumpy butt and I have not noticed this on the bike before. No more using the cheap store brand cycling shorts on the trainer.
    The software and hardware all loaded and worked as advertised with no glitches. I plan to try some of the ride videos after I finish the second fit test and have a training baseline. (or is that basement line?) I ran a movie in the backround this time around and bothe worked well. Trainer road keeps the laptop from sleeping while it is running and also can be set to stay in the foreground. So far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Megabeth View Post
    After I busted my arm and could get on the trainer, I became a fan of Sufferfest.

Each video takes you through a different series of slow spins, hard grinds, sprints, cool downs, etc. The video is of an actual race and there is usually some story behind what you're doing or goading messages like "Don't let that Euskie guy beat you at the top of the mountain!" or "The pack is gathering behind you, don't let them get you at the sprint!"

It's self motivated. Just watch the video and go. I just prop my laptop up in front of the bike.

When you are riding along there are different noises that will sound to tell you to either speed up, slow down, or get a new instruction so you don't have to stare at the screen the whole time. (Which is good because towards the end I usually have my head down and I'm whimpering.) They also have a graphic that tells you what cadence you should be doing at what intensity. And, the music is really good and matches well with what you're supposed to be doing.

There are slow down sections built in to catch your breath and grab your water bottle, but then it revs up soon thereafter.

By the way, the one that features women pro-racers is probably the toughest one I've done.
    Trainerroad and Sufferfest have gotten together and have linked some of the videos to TR workouts. Click the workout and click/purchase a downloadable sufferfest video right from the TR screen. I am going to try some out. Good way to get the first sting of getting dropped over with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    You have a good head start on me. My garmin ANT+ stick took a while to show up d.
    I tell you, if it not too late, I would get the Suunto Mini Movestick. After reading DCRainmakers review I can see what he is saying that it is more durable and portable. I commute with my computer every once and while, and I am constantly needing to remove the garmin stick for a variety of reasons. The Suunto stick is a tiny block that ain't going nowhere, and won't be bothered by a little backpack commuting bumping around.
    http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Movesti.../dp/B004YJS3LG
    At $20 a pop I am going to hold off on the videos until I get bored with chasing that green rabbit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Megabeth View Post

What a great endorsement that stems from something many of us have faced from time to time, instead of taking the time completely off you took the initiative to keep the fitness level up while coming back.
    Extra Kudos for that.

I like the fact that they are using woman in their series. I am sure it is not to their target demo (which I assume is competitive meatheads, myself included) but there is not a whole lot that really caters specifically to the woman who race. I fully expect to be dropped by a fast moving pack of ladies, and look forward to killing myself to try to hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    You have a good head start on me. My garmin ANT+ stick took a while to show up and I have only done the first fit test which is only 1 hour long with two 8 min intervals. Even after only one try I can see that Trainerroad will help with motivation. I see the bar change from green to red and that is reason enough to ramp up as needed. I seem to need a reason, real or not, for self imposed suffering. Gotta have a rabbit to chase I guess. As mentioned an hour with little seating change standong or coasting can make for a grumpy butt and I have not noticed this on the bike before. No more using the cheap store brand cycling shorts on the trainer.
    The software and hardware all loaded and worked as advertised with no glitches. I plan to try some of the ride videos after I finish the second fit test and have a training baseline. (or is that basement line?) I ran a movie in the backround this time around and bothe worked well. Trainer road keeps the laptop from sleeping while it is running and also can be set to stay in the foreground. So far so good.
    Aww I made the same mistake on my first ride. Those fitness tests suck. I did one without really studying the profile and realized a 20 minute test was not a 20 minute long test and that's it, it was a twenty minute test at FTP +10%. I did not do to well on that. The serious saddle time in those series makes me really appreciate my fancy Assos embrocation cream.

If there are more people out there maybe we can create some type of Strava game just to add a little competition to the home trainer game. If I had a larger space I was thinking of doing something like Mt. Evans (ride profile below) with a small crowd, but my condo lacks some crucial features to house this type of event. I was just thinking that climbing a mountain alone sucks but with some company it might not be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    I tell you, if it not too late, I would get the Suunto Mini Movestick. After reading DCRainmakers review I can see what he is saying that it is more durable and portable. I commute with my computer every once and while, and I am constantly needing to remove the garmin stick for a variety of reasons. The Suunto stick is a tiny block that ain't going nowhere, and won't be bothered by a little backpack commuting bumping around.
    http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Movesti.../dp/B004YJS3LG
    At $20 a pop I am going to hold off on the videos until I get bored with chasing that green rabbit.
    I like Suunto stuff, but the majority of their items come with a surprising price tag, I was surprised to see that one is actually have the ant+ sticks price. I will agree with you that the ant+ stick does stick out a lot and yes I have almost snapped my first one completely off its dock, but I am now a die hard Garmin user. That connect.garmin. com site is awesome.
    I agree that there is a bit of sticker shock around some of the videos out there. I think the spinerval ones are the most expensive by a long shot and the epicRides and Sufferfest ones are about $10 less. Sufferfest has a coupon on the FB page for 15% off a bundle, I got the three video bundle for $30 the day before this special was announced...but someone else could be a smart shopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheTech View Post
    The serious saddle time in those series makes me really appreciate my fancy Assos embrocation cream.
    Just want to point out a technicality--the stuff in the picture is just chamois cream and is very helpful for provide additional comfort when it comes to friction.

Embrocation is generally used on the legs and has the winter variations have capsaicin in them, which is the active ingredient in chili peppers. You'd probably not want to apply embrocation to your undercarriage. Although, if you did, we'd ask that you make a video of your facial expressions about 30 seconds after applying...

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Embrocation is generally used on the legs and has the winter variations have capsaicin in them, which is the active ingredient in chili peppers. You'd probably not want to apply embrocation to your undercarriage. Although, if you did, we'd ask that you make a video of your facial expressions about 30 seconds after applying...
    Can it be used on feet, or does the same problem arise?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Can it be used on feet, or does the same problem arise?
    I've had success with the tops of the feet and lower back!

Just remember, put on your cycling shorts and chamois cream before applying the embro. I try to limit the contact on my hands, but only using one hand to apply it, and then washing my hands. And then washing my hands again. And then washing my hands again. It only takes one time getting in one your hands or under your fingernails and then rubbing your eyes to learn an important lesson.

And if you end up getting a jar that is too spicy for you, aging it for a year seems to take away some of the heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Just want to point out a technicality--the stuff in the picture is just chamois cream and is very helpful for provide additional comfort when it comes to friction.

HAHAHA,

Competitive has it in that category and I never really looked into it farther than that. I appreciate you clarifying that though. Guess that should get its' own category....or I should do more homework....I think that shows who never rides when embrocation cream is needed.

I'd be game for a Man (or woman, but they tend to be smarter) Challenge. Who can stand it the longest.
    Would you need milk for the antidote like with super hot wings?

I feel like I should go back and edit what I said...I try to do more research on things...guess I really muffed that one.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing to add--it heats up as your pore open up. You'll feel it as you start to sweat, and then the feeling will cool off as you finish your ride. THEN when you get inside and are taking a nice warm shower, BAM is kicks in for it's second wind and really heats up. As much as you scrub, it'll stick with you for another 30 minutes or so after you get out of the shower.

They make an "unbrocation" that you can use to help remove the embro, but I don't have any first hand experience with that. I kind of like the sting...