Thread: W&OD Trail Conditions Friday, December 28

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation W&OD Trail Conditions Friday, December 28

I was riding my December century today and had planned to include the full W&OD (out and back) for the bulk of the distance. The trail is completely clear from Shirlington to past Belmont Ridge Rd (milepost 29.5). After that the first snow is on the eastern edge of the Sycolin Creek bridge, just the east bound lane. After that it is clear until the Battlefield Parkway underpass where there is a clump of snow/ice under the southbound span. It's easy to get through, it looks like a truck has driven the W&OD from about milepost 32 going west and just about everywhere there is snow/ice, there are wide tire tracks, However, from Battlefield to the western Rte 7 overpass,(milepost 35.5) there are spots of snow/ice. The Rte 7 overpass is snow/ice covered for its full length, but there are the tire tracks that leave a couple of six inch wide clear lines though the mess. Then from there to the Dry Mill Rd intersection at Clarke.s gap, the trail is mostly clear and when there is snow/ice, it's easy to get though. After Dry Mill, the trail is snow/ice covered, so I took the road from there. When I got back on the trail at Simpson Circle, it looked like the trail was relatively clear, but it quickly became snow/ice covered with clear patches. I bailed out at Paeonian Springs after milepost 39, so I don't know what the last five and a half miles are like.

With more snow coming Saturday starting in the early morning hours, the trail west of Leesburg will probably be a mess for anyone on a road bike.

Oh yeah, I ended up with 101 miles for the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Slacker. Best wishes on a long and cold ride.

Thanks for the information, may head out that way or just say hey, what could be more fun than sliding around the CCT.
    Beats sitting at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    Slacker. Best wishes on a long and cold ride.

Thanks for the information, may head out that way or just say hey, what could be more fun than sliding around the CCT.
    Beats sitting at home.
    Well darn, one of these days we'll get the chance to ride together.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just one of those odd things. Now that I think about it I'm surprised we haven't ridden together. That's just plain strange. We need to, and I promise not to wear any bizarre costumes.
    Last edited by acc; 12-30-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Glad I rode yesterday, the wind is crazy strong today.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ride, sir! Nice to get that one out of the way. You had a good year! Looking forward to another good one in 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acc View Post
    It's just one of those odd things. Now that I think about it I'm surprised we haven't ridden together. That's just plain strange. We need to, and I promise not to wear any bizarre costumes.
    Actually, we did have one ride together and it did include bizarre costumes - the Mardi Gras ride. Most enjoyable!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should mention that. A big box of LED lights came in the mail while I was away. And I have working brakes again. But the costume is still under construction.