Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gear in Review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KelOnWheels View Post
    Anybody have tips for getting the little rubber USB port cover on an ExpiliOn back in after it spontaneously ejects itself on day 2 of use?
    For future reference, the answer to this question is "bamboo kitchen skewer".

Post Thanks / Like

I got some new earmuffs to replace the fluffy pink ones that got STOLEN yesterday. I was a bit upset about that until I tried out the new ones. What they lack in cute, pink, fluffiness, they more than make up for with pure awesomeness.

They are SWIX earmuffs designed for XC skiing. They are super light and the metal band between the ears is designed to fit under a hat or helmet. It works perfectly. They helmet holds them in place and they provide exactly enough warmth on the bike without getting in the way of anything.

I got them from Bikenetic for about $25. They come in black, red or white. Need to see if they make pink ones. That would be worth a special order.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krazygl00 View Post
    I went looking for these and I was expecting $150 minimum, but unless I'm looking at the wrong one, looks like the tops are $80-$90. Now, that's not cheap but considering Crafts are about $75 retail, that doesn't seem that bad. Actually for a Rapha product that seems pretty reasonable. Am I looking at the wrong ones? I don't see pink, so maybe.

http://www.rapha.cc/merino-base-layers
    Those are the right ones. They are competitively priced to other top end base layers. For folks who are thinking base layer = long underwear, the price is quite high. You can get underarmor, verge or no-name base layers for under $20... The products are worn in the same way, but do not really do the same things.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some new Christmas gifts under review right now:

HIT:
    - Park Tool Repair Stand (PSC-10): Its folds into a closet when not needed. The build quality is nice, super stable when in use. I am in bike maintenance never and my back thanks for not having to bend over. My review will continue....
    - K-Edge Garmin mount: Super high quality, super heavy duty, puts the Garmin in a much better viewing location when riding. Inspires confidence whenever you use your Garmin. My review will continue....

UNKNOWN:
    -Adrenaline (University of Kansas) Jersey: looks nice, too cold to wear right now.
    - 3T Ergosum Pro handlebars: Nice shape, unmount at the moment. More to come....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluerider View Post
    - K-Edge Garmin mount: Super high quality, super heavy duty, puts the Garmin in a much better viewing location when riding. Inspires confidence whenever you use your Garmin. My review will continue....
    Let me know how you like it. I've got both of the BarFly models which I really like. I use the Time Trial version on my mountain bike and on the tri-bars on the Tweed. I use the regular BarFly on my other bikes. They work very well.

I saw that SRAM is coming out with one this winter that is half the price of the Barfly and K-Edge models. I have one on order, but it hasn't arrived at my local bike shop yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hit: Thanks to the forum, I’ve become a convert to merino wool everything. Favorites are the smartwool headband and icebreaker sports bra (getting back from that first ride without a soaking wet bra was all kinds of awesome).

Hit: Marmot Dri-Clime jacket. Bought cheap on REI clearance. It’s a great windbreaker and surprisingly warm.

Miss: Tried a cheap ($20 I think) pair of gloves billed as waterproof, insulated winter cycling gloves from Amazon. They only came in men’s sizes, but I thought a men’s small might work ok for me, and for the price worth a try. They turned out to be not only a bit too big, but bulky and inflexible, so not very usable on a bike what with shifting and braking and all. Caved and bought the expensive winter gloves from the LBS. These might come in handy for shoveling snow or something, if it snows this year.

Still deciding: Northwave Celsius winter cycling boots. They do give me comfort at about 10 degrees colder than my regular shoes with light weight neoprene shoe covers. And warm toes for 30 minutes or so even in colder weather. Not sure if heavier shoe covers would have done the same for less money, but not having to fuss with shoe covers is a plus for me anyway. They would be excellent for a short or medium length commute. But my toes still get cold and uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes in colder weather. I’m sweating in them a bit I guess, my socks are just barely noticeably damp when I get in from a ride, so I keep hoping that if I find the right combination of socks to help keep my feet dry, they will do better. Are supposed to also be waterproof, but haven't worn them in the rain yet, so I can't report on that.
    Last edited by acl; 01-03-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: NorthWAVE, not NorthWEST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acl View Post

Still deciding: Northwest Celsius winter cycling boots. They do give me comfort at about 10 degrees colder than my regular shoes with light weight neoprene shoe covers. And warm toes for 30 minutes or so even in colder weather. Not sure if heavier shoe covers would have done the same for less money, but not having to fuss with shoe covers is a plus for me anyway. They would be excellent for a short or medium length commute. But my toes still get cold and uncomfortable after about 30-45 minutes in colder weather. I’m sweating in them a bit I guess, my socks are just barely noticeably damp when I get in from a ride, so I keep hoping that if I find the right combination of socks to help keep my feet dry, they will do better. Are supposed to also be waterproof, but haven't worn them in the rain yet, so I can't report on that.
    I have chronically cold feet and last year bought the Northwave Celsius boots too. My feet do best in them when I wear big, fluffy smartwool hiking socks (i.e. the expedition version) and no base layer. I've also tried them with a thin smartwool liner sock and then another wool pair over those but my feet just don't stay as warm. With the fluffy smartwools and the boots I'm good for a few hours at 20-30 degrees. Oh, and just not having to deal with shoe covers all the time make the boots more than worth it for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    I have chronically cold feet and last year bought the Northwave Celsius boots too. My feet do best in them when I wear big, fluffy smartwool hiking socks (i.e. the expedition version) and no base layer. I've also tried them with a thin smartwool liner sock and then another wool pair over those but my feet just don't stay as warm. With the fluffy smartwools and the boots I'm good for a few hours at 20-30 degrees. Oh, and just not having to deal with shoe covers all the time make the boots more than worth it for me!
    And one other thing, start with WARM feet. If I walk around the house all morning on my cold floors in just socks my feet still freeze no mater what I have on them during my commute into the office. Now I wear socks and my Crocs in the house. I put the boots on just before walking out the door and my feet stay toasty warm the entire ride.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    And one other thing, start with WARM feet. If I walk around the house all morning on my cold floors in just socks my feet still freeze no mater what I have on them during my commute into the office. Now I wear socks and my Crocs in the house. I put the boots on just before walking out the door and my feet stay toasty warm the entire ride.
    Seconded. My feet were cold this morning when I left the house, and they were cold the whole ride. I've been putting off getting shoe covers because I don't know which ones to buy, and my commute is only 3.5 miles, so usually smartwool socks are enough to be at least somewhat comfortable. But not today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Let me know how you like it. I've got both of the BarFly models which I really like. I use the Time Trial version on my mountain bike and on the tri-bars on the Tweed. I use the regular BarFly on my other bikes. They work very well.

I saw that SRAM is coming out with one this winter that is half the price of the Barfly and K-Edge models. I have one on order, but it hasn't arrived at my local bike shop yet.
    I will let you know. I held the Barfly and it seemed ok. All plastic and not as solid as the K-Edge in my opinion. The Barfly was only $10 cheaper. For the extra $10 I would rather have the CNC milled aluminum mount. Its just solid as a rock and looks awesome. That being said, its crazy expensive. But I think the Barfly is crazy expensive for what you get as well.