Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front and rear racks

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Topeak MTX system. I have a baby seat that usually lives on the rack, but when I want to go grocery shopping, I throw on the tote and grab a backpack. It's got wheels and handle so I can drag it around the store with me in one hand and carry one of the store's basket in the other. When both are full, I know it's time to head home.

This usually about $100 worth of food (Harris Teeter prices, not Whole Foods prices) which lasts for a week. When my wife is doing errands on the weekend in the car she usually picks up the large items like paper towels and two liters of seltzer water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    two liters of seltzer water
    That's a lot of gin and tonics.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought the Burley Travoy looked pretty cool for an around town grocery getter, particularly if you have the "scan-your-own" grocery stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    That's a lot of gin and tonics.
    Coach says no drinking. The carbonation is for appetite suppression. If I don't watch my figure, then who will?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    The carbonation is for appetite suppression.
    I just use food for this. Maybe that's my problem...

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a topeak disc version for a couple of years and have been pretty happy with it. I use an MTX bag for commuting, which has worked out very well--it's quick to get on and off, has zip-out side panniers if I have to bring home something unexpected, and is easier to carry in the common case than a pair of panniers. (One pannier would be about the same, but then I'd be screwed in the unexpected load case.) I've also used it for some touring with the kids on the towpath, which is rougher and with more weight than most commutes, with no problems. I think the stated capacity is a bit over 50 pounds, and I probably do about 40. On the front I use a Jandd low rider. They've got a spacer for clearing disc brakes, whereas I wasn't quite sure whether the Tubus would fit. I do about 20-25 pounds on the front. Having the weight up there is nice when touring (keeps the bike better balanced), but it does change the handling (makes it more stable/less responsive) and I prefer just a back load for everyday use. Jandd also has a bigger front rack with a platform in addition to the pannier bars, but I decided that would just encourage me to carry more crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Bike commuting since the early 90s and I've never had a rack on a bike, but that's about to change. I've been getting some collar bone pain so thought I should put a rack on the POS Cannondale and use it occasionally to give things a break. Got an Axiom Streamliner Disc DLX and the Ortlieb Roller Classic waterproof panniers. Maybe I'll get lucky and they won't be compatible or something, or I can leave it unlocked out in front of MOM and then have an excuse to get another bike. jk

Post Thanks / Like

You still have a Bad Boy? Let me know if you ever need a front Ultra Fatty fork. I had mine rebuilt like a month before I finally gave up on the frame.