Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: New Bike Lane on Carlin Springs Rd

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Bike Lane on Carlin Springs Rd

I just noticed yesterday that a bike lane has been painted on Carlin Springs Rd (both sides) in the Ballston area between Vermont/Park and the bridge over George Mason Dr. Here is a link to the stretch of road on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/PbQXO. It's very nice for people who want to climb up the hill towards Ballston, especially since (average) bicycles don't tend to do 30+ mph up hills like the vehicles do.

The planned renovation to the bridge over George Mason Drive will include bike lanes, but I do not know if there are plans to continue the bike lanes on Carlin Springs farther than that. I'm not sure if there is room for a bike lane + 2 travel lanes (just before the bridge, Carlin Springs goes from 1 travel lane to 2), but I think it would be nicer for those of us who like to go a bit faster on that stretch and don't want to take the Bluemont Junction trail which requires you to slow down (unless you're a scofflaw) in order to get to the W&OD at Bluemont Park.

Post Thanks / Like

Photo looking downhill here: https://twitter.com/BikeArlington/st...63066605662208

The new Kelley residence will be going in nearby, so I was pleased to see that DES got this put in this fall.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not realize until my morning commute today (took a different way) that, between Vermont/Park and Glebe on Carlin Springs Road, there are bike sharrows painted on the road. I'll update it on Google Mapmaker so it will show up on Google Maps later today.