Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Group Ride - Cap City Brewery to Port City Brewery - 1/26/13 12:00pm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Group Ride - Cap City Brewery to Port City Brewery - 1/26/13 12:00pm

Hello all!

So my first attempt at putting together a social group ride didn't go so well. I figured this time I'd offer something that bike riders can rarely pass up: beer.

I'm putting together a casual group ride from Capital City Brewery in Shirlington to Port City Brewery in Alexandria. The plan is to meet up and depart Cap City at noon on Saturday, January 26th. The ride will take the mostly easy rolling 6.3 mile trip down to Port City for a tour and/or tasting. We will leave Port City around 3 to make sure people get back to Shirlington before the sun starts to go down. The details of the route are on the mapmyrun link below, and the facebook page for the event is below as well. Hope to see some folks there!

Steve

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arling...3649039075774/

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/160104104

Post Thanks / Like

I'm KelOnWheels, and I approve this message.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I've put it on my 2013 ride calendar. Now I just have to make sure I don't get stuck with a business trip over that period.

Post Thanks / Like

Our book club did something similar to that this summer. It is a wonderful ride! Y'all will have fun. The Brewery tour at Port City is really cool if you are in sync for that.

The tasting is well worth the trip. I like their beer a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

I'll plan to be there too, unless something comes up at work. Sounds like fun!

Kathy

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to do this too - gotta check my calendar, and my wife's and both my daughters'.

Thanks for your persistence, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh, this one got my attention.

Sounds like a fun ride. The people at Port City are awesome. They would probably open a back gate or something to safely store the bikes, as I bet they don't have a rack...or do they?

Kudos sir,

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to get down to Port City. I need to renew my mental image of them. See, my first introduction to the beer was when their IPA won the Meridian Pint IPA tournament. They set it up like March Madness, and people voted, and they won. In consecutive weeks, it beat out Bear Republic Racer 5 and Bell's Two Hearted.

Now, you may not be an IPA fan, but I am. And as an IPA fan, I can tell you that Port City's IPA, while pleasant, IS NOT BETTER than two of the best IPAs in the world (I'm not including double and imperial IPAs in this comparison).

So, it isn't Port City's fault that a bunch of crazy people came to Meridian Pint during the contest. But it certainly has colored my view of them. And I'd like to change that, because I like supporting local businesses and drinking local alcohol (any kind of alcohol, really, but that's not the point).

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the feedback and comments that I have recieved (both here, Twitter, and FB). I really mean that. It's made extremely excited for the ride and I hope we have a good crowd and good weather. For those who haven't been to Port City, as has been said here, its a really fun place, good people, and tasty beers. I also wanted to touch two quick things:

1. SteveTheTech - First of all, great first name! Second, I was thinking along the same lines. Unfortunately this week, I haven't been able to get ahold of them, as they aren't open during the day, and my nights have been busy. I am going to ask them if we can line up our bikes somewhere in the back of the warehouse, as they won't be brewing at this time, and there is a good amount of room. Hopefully they can help out, and thanks for the advice.

2. jrenaut - Saying that their IPA is better than Two Hearted is a good reason to be angry. I understand. But their beers are very good. I especially like the Stout.

Again, thanks all so much for the positive feedback. I can't wait for the ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    2. jrenaut - Saying that their IPA is better than Two Hearted is a good reason to be angry. I understand. But their beers are very good. I especially like the Stout.
    This is why I want to give them a second chance - it's not their fault that the contest went the way it did, and I do think they make good beer.