Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enjoy the Custis Trail at Ft Myer Drive Today: Construction Alert

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enjoy the Custis Trail at Ft Myer Drive Today: Construction Alert

Sorry. I should have got this out last night when I first saw it.

There's no good ride around and people like to do illegal right turns on red from Ft. Myer Dr. Be very careful. I almost had a head-on collision this morning with a guy who didn't even pretend to stop at his red light... or pay attention to the orange cones.

Hugs and kisses,

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

It looks kinda cute from further back too.

Post Thanks / Like

What no kicker right before the cones? I bet that Pete could clear that...

Post Thanks / Like

Did Arlington County put out an alert about this that I missed? If not, 20 demerits for not announcing it and 50 demerits for not setting up a safe detour for bicycles.

Post Thanks / Like

I came through much later (thankfully no 5am rides for me). At 8:30ish the area was a zoo. Cyclists and pedestrians in the street with cars just about turning on top of them. Thankfully, traffic seems to be a bit on the light side ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    What no kicker right before the cones? I bet that Pete could clear that...
    All I need is a lot more momentum. I'd clear it for sure. Bike probably wouldn't, but I would.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Did Arlington County put out an alert about this that I missed? If not, 20 demerits for not announcing it and 50 demerits for not setting up a safe detour for bicycles.

I don't think it's a county transportation project. Maybe something with VDOT or utilities perhaps? We're looking into it...

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't they just close down the right lane of WB Lee and use that for the Custis Trail detour between the Marriott driveway and Ft Myer? They'd probably even save some of those cones (it's like a fence around the "pit")!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Why don't they just close down the right lane of WB Lee and use that for the Custis Trail detour between the Marriott driveway and Ft Myer? They'd probably even save some of those cones (it's like a fence around the "pit")!
    I've been lobbying for closing all of Arlington County to automobile traffic any time road construction needs to be done in the county. There hasn't been much support for that yet. I'm still working on it though.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the same concern as the snow removal - that ARLCO fails to treat the bike trails as transportation arteries. Shutting down the trails without notice, without a safe and legal detour - is a regular occurrence. This is a continuation of Arlco saying "Stop driving your car to work --- but we only support those people who drive their cars to work."

Anyway - I encourage you to send emails to DES@arlingtonva.us, countyboard@arlingtonva.us Please do. They need to hear from you about how this impacts your commute and your safety.

Dirt, is it okay if I repost your picture to my blog?
    Last edited by rcannon100; 12-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.