Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange pylons at Jefferson Memorial

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orange pylons at Jefferson Memorial

Just wondering if anyone has contacted the Park Service about the orange pylons at the Jefferson Memorial? They're a serious hazard, particularly at night. I can understand having a few of these to keep people from trying to park there, but recently they've propagated and the intervals between them have shrunk to about 4 feet at one end and 5 feet at the other.

Nick

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been an ongoing problem with numerous complaints. DBB had a drawn-out battle over it at one point. Some folks who DEFINITELY ARE NOT forum members seemed to have developed a habit of picking up the cones and tossing them over the jersey barriers as they rode by. The Park Service doesn't care. They serve their purpose of preventing anyone from turning into their precious parking spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder why the park service is so bicycle-antagonistic. I guess they just see their role as to provide commuter roads and the bicyclists can just go f themselves.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps someone should point out to NPS that blocking the ramp also blocks wheelchair users which I'm pretty sure is not ADA compliant.

Post Thanks / Like

The cones nearest the trail off the 14th Street Bridge seem to be multiplying. They appear to be protecting parking spaces for some Park Police officers who, for reasons unclear, park there rather than near the PP offices. While I haven't staked the location out, it seems that fellow officers shuttle the parkers to/from their duty stations.

Might be worth getting off my steed (how's Rocinante for a potential name for a bike?) and taking another run at this windmill.

Strategies might include the ADA issue, the visual appearance, and the private parking.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is still an issue, contacting the Chief of Maintenance, Sean Kennealy, at 202-245-4685 would be the best way to be put in touch with the proper person who handles issues with the National Mall and Memorials.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed as I came through this morning that none of the cones were blocking the sidewalk ramp. They were all carefully lined up out of the way of cyclists. I'm not sure if that was due to another cyclist or the NPS, but someone somewhere paid attention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    I noticed as I came through this morning that none of the cones were blocking the sidewalk ramp. They were all carefully lined up out of the way of cyclists. I'm not sure if that was due to another cyclist or the NPS, but someone somewhere paid attention.
    Must be a friendly cyclists, they're all still there.

Post Thanks / Like

As of this evening, they were positioned with the same random panache we have grown to expect.

I did speak with Mr. Kennealy (NPS) this afternoon and he indicated he would take a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, dbb!

Nick