Likes Likes:  671
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  54
Page 11 of 151 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: "I saw this deal, and thought someone might like it" thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought someone would like this deal.. Turned out it was me..$35, picked it up today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358480101.476091.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	2290

Post Thanks / Like

Two birds with one stone? Freezing Saddle points and shiny things. I do need some more leather washers for my half installed fenders.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Clymb has Sugoi RS bibs on sale for $70, which is the cheapest I've ever seen them by about $40. They only have S and XL (my size, yay!), but this deal makes them probably the best bibs you can get for the money, period.

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody's got teeny feet (men's 6.5 US) , this seems like a good deal on Lake CX140 winter shoes.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner... here's a super cheap Al frameset with belt drive accommodation built in.

http://www.oneghost.net/One_Ghost_In...OLETARIAT.html

The temptation... she is becoming too much.

That's a nice looking bike! I always get confused when I try to figure out how much the bike would actually cost me to build up. $200 for fork and frame seems like a great deal, but then I start looking at prices for internal hubs, wheels, cranks, brakes, bars, etc, and I get really intimidated.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^
    I have built up a few bikes and have always been blown away how much they end up costing. For instance, one of bikes frames cracked beyond repair. The bike had good components on it, so I decided to get a new frame and transfer the old group onto the new frame. After scoring a deal on a frame, i began to transfer the old components onto the new frame, which you would think would be an even transfer. Between handlebar tape, new cables/housing and brakes shoes and chain and a couple of other brikabrak, i spent close to $150 for essentially nothing (this does not take into consideration the frame cost). $150 isn't isn't a lot, but it kind of puts it into perspective that you will be spending a couple hundred on things you didn't even think about. One other thing, and almost any will tell you, you will be spending more on proper bike tools than the actual bike.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just prepare you. You should never start with the intention that you are going to be saving money. With Craigslist there are tons of cheaper options. Anybody who says they save money building themselves has long forgotten all the money they spent on those spare bike parts that fill their garage. You are however going to gain a ton of knowledge about your bike. Information that will transfer over to servicing your own bike, which in the long run will save you a ton. Also no turn-around time, unless your basement gets backed up for some reason. Those expensive bike tools will easily pay for themselves. Also, you will have a weird connection with the bike, because damn it, you know ever nook and cranny. Most importantly, and most expensively, you get what you want. You can mix and match components and parts that suit you specifically.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't built a bike from scratch but even getting custom parts you like gets expensive very easily. The best value will always be a new bike. But if you ride and enjoy your bike(s) enough to know and feel the difference between stock and (your) custom parts I think it's well justified.

Often if you keep track of sales etc you end up building up a cache of parts you know you like reasonably well and by the time your next dream frame makes it home you'll have most of the parts already - esp for contact area stuff like saddles/handlebars/pedals/bar tape.

I have to throw in a plug for Bikenetic - they were great when I bought my CX bike with upgrades because they deducted the component cost of the original item I upgraded. That way I wasn't paying too much extra for nicer components.
    Last edited by vvill; 01-25-2013 at 07:06 PM.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tall bike alert deal!

For you tall guys, this might be a good deal for someone getting into tri's. Not a tri guy, so do your homework. Always get a little giddy with a well priced litespeed.
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...576415285.html
    Last edited by Jason B; 01-28-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    For you tall guys, this might be a good deal for someone getting into tri's. Not a tri guy, so do your homework. Always get a little giddy with a well priced litespeed.
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...576415285.html
    Worth it to part out... hell, the frame is worth more than that.