Likes Likes:  657
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  54
Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1464

Thread: "I saw this deal, and thought someone might like it" thread.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of great threads on fenders.

Thread 1 (debating the issue of VO not having a quick release)

Thread 2 (with Dirt's pro methods for how to install VOs)

2. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    The release clips aren't there to break free if a stick gets stuck in your spokes or something--the front fork isn't going anywhere, so you're in trouble if that happens whether you have fenders or not. The idea is that if something causes the fender to catch on the wheel and fold under itself, the mount will detach rather than keeping the fender against the tire and sucking it further in. This is something that can happen with plastic fenders (I've actually seen it) but metal fenders tend to be less bendy and don't need that feature.
    I am reasonably certain that the breakaway feature on the SKS have saved my butt twice--once at pretty high speed. My front fender ended up destroyed in that case, too. I do not know what would have happened if I had had a non-detachable metal fender, but I am pretty certain it would have stopped my front wheel cold and I would have done a spectacular and injurious endo at about 25 mph. I am very pleased I am alive and well to talk about it.

4. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I am reasonably certain that the breakaway feature on the SKS have saved my butt twice--once at pretty high speed. My front fender ended up destroyed in that case, too. I do not know what would have happened if I had had a non-detachable metal fender, but I am pretty certain it would have stopped my front wheel cold and I would have done a spectacular and injurious endo at about 25 mph. I am very pleased I am alive and well to talk about it.
    I will *testify* to the value of a breakaway mount. Currently on the Olde Trek are SKS Commuter fenders, with breakaway release up front. 25 or so years ago, during my Bicycle Exchange days, the fender setup was a plastic set by Zefal, no breakaway. On that day, running Specialized Tri Cross 27x1 3/8 tires ( a cross tire before its time). I was almost all the way to the Wheeler Ave warehouse, traversing a dirt cut-through, when the lugs of the tire found a way to snag the fender stay. Wheel locked, and I went face-first into the ground with impressive suddenness. On hands and knees, 5 second killer headache and seeing stars, and was greeted by the cutest first responder ever, a neighbor's Yorkie. Lick lick... Picked myself up, reinserted lens into glasses, walked bike and I rest of the way to work. Helmet did its job. Rather amazingly, I proceeded to do my workday, delivering bikes as far south as Fredericksburg. I really truly wasn't all there- it was a really weird twilight zone. Welcome to the world of a concussion. Did it. Somehow. Jim Helwig was nice enough to drive me home that evening.

Of note, the stainless steel fenders from VeloOrange and others are quite stiff to begin with. Much less chance of lateral wobble/bouncing. Also many will loop the fender stay around the outside of the fender (a pic of Das Kettler is attached). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180906_085124.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	18305

A branch, or a frame pump (which cycling movie are you thinking of?), inserted through the wheel... you'll be in big trouble anyway. But the risks of something bad happening are greatly reduced.
    Last edited by Starduster; 09-06-2018 at 09:20 PM.

How would I be unknown if you knew my location?
    Post Thanks / Like

Fenders...
    Not only do they make you look like a complete dork, but they can potentially kill you. Who would have thought that?

7. Likes josh, Steve O, Crickey7 liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownCyclist View Post
    Fenders...
    Not only do they make you look like a complete dork
    Dont worry, only fair-weather cyclists would think that.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some pretty sturdy velo orange fenders installed on one bike and I've been wondering if there's some after market breakaway connectors I could add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jen_stoly View Post
    I have some pretty sturdy velo orange fenders installed on one bike and I've been wondering if there's some after market breakaway connectors I could add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was wondering the same. I haven't tried this, but some folks have claimed to use the Portland Design Works safety tabs with VO fenders (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ob/d9Ftwqg8kZQ ).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boeshield T-9

For those of us who remain Boeshield T-9 fans despite recent comments, West Marine is having a 30% off sale on the 12oz spray can through September 30th.

12. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In Fairfax, two stores are closing: Sears at Fair Oaks Mall(Google Maps), and Modell's Sporting Goods at Fair Lakes Shopping Center. Both stores seem full, so they just started, and might remain open for months. Modell's hasn't gotten their winter gear yet, only saw light jackets for $30. Normally jackets start at $50-$60, then on black Friday lower them to $35-$40.

Sears has most things in the 15% to 50% range. No bikes to speak of, only one helmet left. Two things related to biking:

1 - Balaclavas at 15%. You can find them in the middle of the tools section. The two neon ones to the right; in the picture below; are made of breathable fleece, not for the coldest weather. The one to the left is made of regular thin fabric.
    2 - Torque Wrenches at 20%. The cheapest one is $16 after the discounts(even lower online), but is only suitable for high torque parts like cassettes, and some bottom brackets. The next more expensive one costs $64 after the discounts. Tools in general are at $20% off.

Here is how to get to Modell's from the W&OD at Reston, which is through Fairfax County Parkway Trail, and it really takes one hour. If you are pressed for time, then you can go to Vienna Metro, then take Fairfax Connector bus 630, which goes straight to Fair Oaks Mall through I-66, then to Fair Lakes Shopping Center. However, you will probably lose on metro what you gain from the store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balclava1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	18406

Post Thanks / Like

Kmart at Annandale is also closing:

https://annandaleva.blogspot.com/201...s-closing.html