Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2013 Kennedy Center Path Closure

DismalScientist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I regularly use Key Br in the AM and TR in the PM.
    This is bass-ackwards. Clearly it is best to use the TR in the AM and Key in the PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The official 12/12/12 Apocalyptic Detour of Death.

Which is really horrible because some moron parked his bike blocking the entry of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the loop that Sean and I have done a few times. http://ridewithgps.com/trips/509867

I strongly suggest NOT mooning the security cameras at the Navy Yard entrance. I think that gets you on some kind of list that you don't want to be on. Don't ask me how I know that.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    The official 12/12/12 Apocalyptic Detour of Death.

Which is really horrible because some moron parked his bike blocking the entry of it.
    Should be fun in the first snowfall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Here's the loop that Sean and I have done a few times. http://ridewithgps.com/trips/509867
    Needs more warm up hills in Lake Barcroft!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Has anyone shared their concerns with the listed contact?
    I did. Here's what I wrote:

Hi:

I wanted to give you some feedback on the planned sidewalk maintenance and resulting detour. I commute through there by bike pretty much daily, even in the dark of winter. First, I understand and appreciate the need to upgrade the path. (Hopefully this time one of my fellow cyclists won't run his tire through the wet cement!) Also thanks very much for doing this in January and for giving us so much warning. That's really appreciated by everyone.

I do think the detour is problematic, though I recognize that there's not really a practical alternative. Coming from the bridge a cyclist must make a 90-degree turn into a narrow gap and then onto a steep downward path that twists away from the entrance. That's tricky in dry well-lit conditions without oncoming traffic. Change any of those variables and problems occur. Likewise a person heading to the bridge must go up a steep path and then make a sharp turn onto the trail (something that's virtually impossible to do without heading into the oncoming-traffic side of the trail).

As much as I hate it, I think you may find that you need to designate the asphalt path part of the detour as walking only. Regardless I strongly urge the Kennedy center to make sure that the asphalt path is well treated, even in dry conditions. I went down it once on a frosty morning and it was very slick.

Thanks. Here's hoping the weather makes the project quick and painless.

garry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thucydides View Post
    I did. Here's what I wrote:
    Great--please let us know if you hear anything in response!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Great--please let us know if you hear anything in response!
    I received a nice note back. Basically they are planning to put up dismount signs. I know this will displease some, and likely many of us will ignore them, but it makes sense under the circumstances. They also plan to monitor the path for icing. I'll see how it goes and if need be use the Key or Chain Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who didn't pass this way yesterday, the work is now underway. Last night, I approached it from the DC side. The detour begins about where the bike racks are for the Kennedy Center. The detour would be unclear if you hadn't studied the map in advance. I had several confused cyclists following me. Approaching the path in Dirt's photo from the bottom of the hill, there is no curb cut so I think your only option is to get off the bike and walk it up (that's what the five of us there at the time did, anyway).

I think I'll detour to Key Bridge for now.

Liz

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

You can totally hop the curb and then power your way up the hill in a low gear. Think of it as training for 41st St!

Accidentally rode through here coming from VA this morning. It was quite the obstacle course, but wasn't completely shut down, at least around 7am.

Between this and the inaugural shutdown of Penn by the back of the white house, my commute routes are all off!

I also like the fact that when I tried to look at the bottom of the ramp on google street view, I got stuck in a gray sphere that I could not exit from.
    Last edited by americancyclo; 01-10-2013 at 06:37 AM.