Thread: Revolution Cycles City Hub in Crystal City to close by end of year

PotomacCyclist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Revolution Cycles City Hub in Crystal City to close by end of year

http://revolutioncycles.com/merchant...ingRelease.pdf

The primary focus of the store was on bike access and bike rentals, not traditional bike sales. Maybe Capital Bikeshare had a negative effect on their rental business, which was different from that of Bike and Roll and other private bike rental businesses. I've seen many people riding around D.C. and Arlington on CaBi and Bike and Roll bikes. But I never saw too many people using the City Hub bikes.

With the success and growth of CaBi, there probably wasn't a niche for something like City Hub, which tried to help promote bike usage in the Crystal City and Pentagon City areas. With only one location, City Hub didn't serve those who use services like Bike and Roll either.

But Crystal City could definitely use a bike store. There are potential locations for a full-size bike shop, similar to the other Revolution Cycles locations in the region. I've seen potential spaces in the EPA Potomac Yard building, at Century Center and near Good Stuff Eatery on Crystal Drive. There's also the old Safeway location, although that wouldn't have an entrance on Crystal Drive.

I see many cyclists in the area, many who ride CaBi but many who ride their own bikes too. A nearby bike store would be very welcome. I hope Revolution Cycles returns to the neighborhood. If not, then I hope someone else considers opening a Crystal City bike store.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a bummer. The shop is essentially across the street from my office building, so I'm in there rather frequently for minor adjustments, parts and to grab waffles 'n stuff when I need them. They're always willing to answer my questions, and I invariably get in a conversation while there. It's a nice resource to have just a hop off the MVT. Seems like the CC/Pentagon City area could certainly support a traditional bike shop.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a real shame since the employees there are awesome. As a local resident I have seen a lot of tourist types using their bikes and I believe some of the hotels offer free rentals to guests via a contractural arrangment with CityHub. I don't think they advertised enough in the area. I don't think most CC residents were aware they can pay one annual membership fee (very low) and use the bikes for free. The bikes are lighter and have more gears than CaBi and you can take the bikes out for hours. An expanded shop would be great for us locals.

PotomacCyclist is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Christmas Eve was the final day of business. What's certain is that the space has been cleaned out. No signs, no product displays, no bike gear. Just empty walls and bare floors.

Post Thanks / Like

They are selling their Allants, complete with lock, from the Clarendon store!