Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12/23 - Hains Point 100 - A Ride to Benefit WABA's Women on Bikes Program

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12/23 - Hains Point 100 - A Ride to Benefit WABA's Women on Bikes Program

Hi there, I'm Megan (aka Megabeth) and I'm going to be riding around Hains Point loop for 100 miles. I know, you may think that's all kinds of crazy, but it's true. I'm doing this to raise awareness and funds for the Washington Area Bicycling Association's Women & Bicycles program. I deeply believe that getting more women on bikes will make DC a better place for everyone.

Come join me on December 23rd as I complete these 100 miles riding solely on Hains Point. Gathering at 9:30. My ride starts at 10:00 am and will go on until I finish.

Donate and/or join me for a few laps, several miles...or for the whole thing! Interested? I'd love to know if you're going to be out there. Go here for details.

(Rumor has it that some other forum regulars will also be joining me...come one, come all!)

It's a social ride, so come when you want...leave when you want.

All skill levels of riders, ages, women, men, and children are invited. Feel free to break off into your own pacelines, work on your sprint, or just enjoy the day however you like.

Bike decorations and costumes are strongly encouraged and will amuse me as I complete my 100 mile journey.

Even if you can't make this ride, please I'd really love it if you could donate. Go here for details.

~~

Why am I doing this? In the Washington DC region, only 24% of regular bicyclists are women. We want to see that percentage to grow!

WABA's Women & Bicycles program seeks to get more women on bikes through programming that will provide information targeted to overcome barriers to cycling, provide coordination and mentoring, create a cohesive network , and more.
    Last edited by Megabeth; 12-07-2012 at 07:48 PM.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my wife and I are hanging out by ourselves this Christmas, so I'm strongly inclined to join you. My wife might do some laps, but probably not 100 miles. Maybe she'll be willing to take the car down and provide support.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Whether 0 laps, and just support or 1 lap or 33+ it doesn't matter! Working to get more Women on Bikes so every bit helps!

Live: Palisades, DC | Work: West End (21 & L)
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm in town this year around Christmas, so I'm very keen to join for a lap or 20. We'll have folks in town but I think I should be able to get down to HP for a while in the morning. Will check schedules on my end and then fill in the nifty form you have set up sometime in the next couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry will be out of town, will donate. On the donation form do we enter your name to make sure you get credit? Where do we enter "women & bicycles"?

Thanks for doing this

Post Thanks / Like

Put your name as the donator and put "Women & Bicycles" in the "In Honor Of" fields on the WABA donation form. (I'll make that a little clearer on my web page, too.)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'll ride a lap in your honor!

Post Thanks / Like

Way cool! When will the cue sheet be available?

Will Tim be setting the pace?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah, right. If Tim's setting the pace, then we'd be done in two hours. What's the fun in that?

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome. You could rack up like 66 fail to stop at stopsign tickets during your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll definitely donate, and if I'm in town and available that day, I'll be glad to tail for awhile - by about a hundred bazillion laps. I could be the sweep.

It's great that you're doing this!
    Last edited by Arlingtonrider; 12-08-2012 at 01:53 PM.