Page 26 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Saddles: Winter Bike Challenge (sign up open)

Post Thanks / Like

Since this Freezing Saddles competition is really taking off (and it's all completely grassroots run by the cycling community, which makes me VERY happy!!), BikeArlington would like to provide prizes for the winners.

We've got a few surprises up our sleeves, so stay tuned for more on what these prizes could be!

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by essigmw View Post
    I'm seriously considering tanking this week's results to get Megabeth on our team Nah I'm far too competative for that.
    Late sign ups will be subbed based on the November/December handicaps, not based on current scores. (nice try tho)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by essigmw View Post
    I took a long ride this mornign which gave me more time to think. I came up with a proposal for the end of winter 10-team tournament and thought I would post to start the discussion since this contest was built around consensis:
    R U volunteering to be master of the tournament?

At worst, I can make a simple Google page that shows the progress of the tournament. Ron might also have some magic.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 01-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pointless Prizes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Since this Freezing Saddles competition is really taking off (and it's all completely grassroots run by the cycling community, which makes me VERY happy!!), BikeArlington would like to provide prizes for the winners.

We've got a few surprises up our sleeves, so stay tuned for more on what these prizes could be!
    This is of course most excellent. Support from Bike Arlington (and maybe goDCgo and WABA??) is most welcome by those of us who like bright shiny bicycle bling!

In addition

PROPOSAL: As we all know, we are all in this for the Pointless Prizes that were promised. From the original:

There will be a Happy Hour at the end with many pointless trophies.
    What I propose is that each team come up with an official Pointless Prize, to be awarded - presented - imposed - inflicted - at the final happy hour. The Pointless Prizes should be for various massive achievements as creatively concocted as possible. Of course first place and second place - but maybe individual highest score - most miles ridden during official snow days - most sleeze days accumulated (days where the rider rode just 1 mile to get the ten points) - best Mardi Gras costume - poorest excuse for not riding - best ride route shape (see Tim's rifle above) - ride furthest away from Wash DC (okay vvill would already win). Be creative.

Proposal: each team creates a pointless prize. Those prizes should be coordinated through a prize coordinator so that they dont duplicate and work well together. If you make a team prize, remember there are ~5 members to a team. Prizes will be awarded during the happy hour.

I can coordinate this but would be more than glad for someone to volunteer to do this.

And of course Bike Arlington Swag is most excellently welcome.

Thoughts?

B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    TEAM 4
    EKR
    Kel Moore
    Chris Shue
    Crystal Bae
    Elizabeth MacGregor (captain)
    EKR - if you can read this...WHERE U AT? TEAM FOURCUATROPHO NEEDS YOU!

Send a smoke signal or lascivious tweet or SOMETHING.

Post Thanks / Like

What I propose is that each team come up with an official Pointless Prize, to be awarded - presented - imposed - inflicted - at the final happy hour.
    So in addition to sitting on our freezing saddles, now we have homework, too?!

Post Thanks / Like

Strava question:
    This Strava thing is good. Now I can make better use of the Garmin doohickey I got for my birthday last summer

Question though. I use two bikes: one is a road/commuter bike for my commutes and trips >3-4 miles. The other is a 1961 Western Flyer 3-speed, toodler bike I use to run errands and toodle around town. Strava only offers 4 choices of bike types in the system: Road, Mountain, TT and Cross. This bike doesn't really fit any of those categories.
    Advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Strava question:
    This Strava thing is good. Now I can make better use of the Garmin doohickey I got for my birthday last summer

Question though. I use two bikes: one is a road/commuter bike for my commutes and trips >3-4 miles. The other is a 1961 Western Flyer 3-speed, toodler bike I use to run errands and toodle around town. Strava only offers 4 choices of bike types in the system: Road, Mountain, TT and Cross. This bike doesn't really fit any of those categories.
    Advice?
    Just like Grant Petersen says... Too much influence by racers in the biking community.

If it matters, your choice of bike type doesn't affect anything, so you can call it whatever you like.

consularrider is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Strava question:

Advice?
    I just listed my hybrids as Mountain since that's about their weight class.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My miles aren't showing up

How often does it update?