Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road ID

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Road ID

If you are thinking of getting a RoadID, this coupon is good for $1 off any Road ID order. It can be used up to 20 times in the next 30 days.

Coupon Number: ThanksRobert19566925

Post Thanks / Like

Oh cool, I need a new one. Mine has stuff crossed out with Sharpie.

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure that the text you request is in an Earth language. They really don't like it when things are translated into Martian.

Disclaimer: There's a long story behind this Road ID. Road IDs are intended to be serious pieces of safety equipment and something you should always wear when you ride, walk or run. I translated mine into Martian and wear it next to my Earth Road ID 'cause you never know when THEY might come for you. I wouldn't want them to have inaccurate contact info.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How durable are they?

I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing a very good argument for Road ID (and properly fitting helmets) on this evening's FreshBikes ride (lots of fun, you should do it, don't let this dissuade you).

Two guys clipped wheels while cornering and both HARD. Both seemed to be knocked out at first, one came back quickly the other much more slowly (his helmet did not seem to be covering his head at the point of impact - w/out blaming the victim too much I think that was b/c it was set too loose #hindsight). Someone called 911 and I helped direct bike traffic around the accident. I don't think anyone checked for Road ID (at least not right away), but thinking back on it we should have, and I bet the medics did. His contact person probably would have been notified w/in 15 minutes of the crash and been able to get to the hospital ASAP.

I'd always thought of Road ID for use after a fatal crash and didn't really see the point in spending money to rush that news to my wife. But having her w/ me at the hospital seems like it is certainly worth the $20. So thoughts on which one to get? How well do the silicon one's last? How well does the cloth sport one last? Is there a better/cheaper alternative?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine (which actually fits onto my shoelaces) from GoSportID. And I got a $10 discount on it via Earndit, which gives you discounts and/or makes charitable contributions on your behalf based on points earned bicycling (among other activities).

I've probably had mine a couple of years, and it has shown no signs of wearing out. It's not as though it gets a lot of stress, since the top side doesn't rub up against anything, and my shoelaces are just threaded through the rubber band it's attached to (so the band itself is not stretched).
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 05-06-2014 at 11:07 PM.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I read an article about these types of IDs written by a paramedic a year ago and he said paramedics do not check for ID (only emergency alert bracelets for things like allergies) nor are they allowed to call anyone because of medical privacy laws (need written consent from the patient at a minimum). He also said they don't care who the person is; they are only interested in providing medical treatment at that moment.

However, the police may use it if they need to identify you at the hospital or accident scene and have more leeway on how to use such info. It is also good if you are on a group ride and something happens since another rider can call your family.

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, too bad about that crash; I passed through that section after the paramedics had arrived. At that point everyone was conscious. Seems like there is a crash on that corner every ride.

Yeah, I figure it is worth having a road id even if the medical personnel (at least the paramedics) won't use it. I have a cloth one that I wear for group rides or other rides when I don't have my drivers license on me. I shower with it on post-ride frequently and it has held up fine for the past few+ years.

Dirt posted a discount code in another thread recently.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Seems like there is a crash on that corner every ride.
    Which corner is this? Would like to know if I ever get a free Tuesday evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Which corner is this? Would like to know if I ever get a free Tuesday evening.
    This is the Glebe / Old Glebe intersection (there's a white church there). I see there are now two other threads about the accident. Maybe it's an exaggeration to say that it happens every ride, but I only participated in a handful last year and I could swear that in two of them there was a crash there. My wife was concerned since she saw the arlnow sms about the accident, and me assuring her that it happens every time did not help. I would probably avoid riding in a large pack around that corner; luckily I have always been dropped by whatever faster group I was chasing by then so I'm usually riding solo or with a couple other people that fell off the back too.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my medical alert bracelet.

Name:  bracelet1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  51.6 KB

12. Likes cyclingfool liked this post
    ELITE brendan ELITED this post