Thread: Colorado Triple Bypass Ride

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colorado Triple Bypass Ride

Has anyone done the Triple Bypass ride in Colorado and, if so, were you able to adequately train in this area for the ride's climbing and altitude? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend at work who did the "ride the rockies" Colorado ride. He trained in flat MD and some in the Blue Ridge of VA, but mostly adjustment to altitude is time at altitude. If you could be in Colorado a week early to allow your body to acclimate it may work well. Also hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Post Thanks / Like

No two ways about it - the altitude will hurt. Especially once you get around 11,000 feet. I don't know the mountain passes in question so I can't be specific, but when I'm out there I notice the difference at 5,000 feet, I'm noticeably weaker at 8,000 feet, and once I'm up around 11,000 feet serious cardio is out of the question. They should definitely try to get there as far in advance as possible and as the previous poster said, hydrate like crazy. It's more important at altitude.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Squaw: 9800 feet
    Loveland: 11992 feet
    Vail: 10554 feet

All from: http://cyclepass.com/t_tpa_co_all_alpha.html

Post Thanks / Like

The year before last I did a group ride in Idaho that went through the Sawtooths. Two of the passes were right about 8000 feet. I was really gassing it to get up over those... Every time I go home I do a climb that goes from 3000 feet to 6000 feet, and that one doesn't bother me so much.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    Has anyone done the Triple Bypass ride in Colorado and, if so, were you able to adequately train in this area for the ride's climbing and altitude? Thanks
    Just train only using one lung at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Squaw: 9800 feet
    Loveland: 11992 feet
    Vail: 10554 feet

All from: http://cyclepass.com/t_tpa_co_all_alpha.html
    Wow. I'd definitely get out there as far before as you can and spend some time up in the clouds before you attempt this. By that I don't mean Denver, either. 10k+. Go to Breck or some other resort and hang out.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Get high early. I was hacking up my extra lung at 8500 feet doing some leisurely mountain biking for a week.

Of course I now have 5 KOMs to show for it.
    Last edited by DismalScientist; 11-30-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: I hope no one notices that I am the only rider on these segments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by essigmw View Post
    I have a friend at work who did the "ride the rockies" Colorado ride. He trained in flat MD and some in the Blue Ridge of VA, but mostly adjustment to altitude is time at altitude. If you could be in Colorado a week early to allow your body to acclimate it may work well. Also hydrate hydrate hydrate.
    I may actually be doing this one next year as well. I do a ride out there every year called Copper Triangle, it goes over Freemont, Tennessee, and Vail (all around the 10k range) passes over 80 miles covering about 6000' climbing. It's a challenging ride at sea-level but at altitude it's a lot more challenging. I definitely notice the altitude. I have done this ride flying in the night before and once flying in 3-4 weeks before the ride. The earlier I get out there the better I feel.

As for training I spent a lot of time at Skyline and other big climbs in the area. It'll get you fit enough to do it.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  todd_stelvio.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  78.4 KB

I think I'd rather try the Alps? Or Utah? Same quality climbs with lower elevation. Our last trip to 10k feet in Colorado, I could barely climb steps. It felt so good just getting back to Denver.