Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 117

Thread: Capital 'Cross Classic - local cyclocross race in Reston

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarendon
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    What a fantastic map! Thanks! I see that although my mileage in there is high, I have much more to explore. Any more of those up your sleeve? Avalon perhaps? Non-standard 'Shed? EF?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    What a fantastic map! Thanks! I see that although my mileage in there is high, I have much more to explore. Any more of those up your sleeve? Avalon perhaps? Non-standard 'Shed? EF?
    Thanks! You can see the whole collection here: http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24821 (or on the LORO trail wiki, which is where all the links go). EF is on there; Patapsco/Avalon is on my to do list but not currently done. I actually do have a full gambrill/watershed map drawn, but I don't release it publicly out of deference for that trail systems delicate legal status (though I crop the Gambrill portion down and use that, since Gambrill trails are all legal).

    The Lake Fairfax map actually needs updating (the dancing leaf and some of the singletrack on the right near the entrance has been closed). But the doubletrack portion, which is what I'd recommend people coming in on road bikes take, is all correct.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Live: Palisades, DC | Work: Crystal City
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    As a near-daily rider of the CCT to LFP (I do it on my commute whenever possible) entering Tamarack Park (just before HM) and exiting at Michael Faraday in Reston (Ice Rink) I can help here- It's beginner MTB single track with a paved Difficult Run crossing that will have 4" of water in it. There are no major technical features until you get into the park proper. That said, it is not a path for a true road bike or on slick tires (although I've done it).

    Link to W&OD through park route: http://app.strava.com/activities/29675367

    Hunter Mill as an alternate is not very bike friendly (but Sunday it'll be better than usual) and it's a surprisingly long ride to the park with virtually no shoulder. I'd enter at the Reston end... thing is, I have no idea how to do that without hitting the nicer (read harder) single track in the park.
    I'm thinking of riding up with Dirt and while I'm not sure what his planned route is, I can guess as much from his user handle. You say the CCT stretch is not road bike friendly - what about a tourer (Surly Disc Trucker) with stock Conti Contact 700x37 tires? I've been meaning to pick up a set of CX tires for the winter anyways and maybe this is a good excuse to do so...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Dont forget about handups and practicing your heckling.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,697
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BikeArlington has vuvuzellas and cowbells available if anyone wants to swing by our offices tomorrow (or if someone wants to coordinate a group pickup).

    I won't be around, but Zanna will be in the office!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    I'm thinking of riding up with Dirt and while I'm not sure what his planned route is, I can guess as much from his user handle. You say the CCT stretch is not road bike friendly - what about a tourer (Surly Disc Trucker) with stock Conti Contact 700x37 tires? I've been meaning to pick up a set of CX tires for the winter anyways and maybe this is a good excuse to do so...
    The section from the W&OD to Carpers Farm isn't bad. Its a mix of singletrack, doubletrack, gravel and paved, but all relatively easy and non-technical. The section from Carpers Farm around to Hunters Mill is more problematic; it isn't difficult per se, but its all fairly old doubletrack, and some sections are eroded and a bit rooty and rocky. I've cyclocrossed it on 28mm tires and its certainly doable (depending on skill level), but I wouldn't call it terribly pleasant.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    4,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    BikeArlington has vuvuzellas and cowbells available if anyone wants to swing by our offices tomorrow (or if someone wants to coordinate a group pickup).

    I won't be around, but Zanna will be in the office!
    I'll be carrying mine.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    4,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    The section from the W&OD to Carpers Farm isn't bad. Its a mix of singletrack, doubletrack, gravel and paved, but all relatively easy and non-technical. The section from Carpers Farm around to Hunters Mill is more problematic; it isn't difficult per se, but its all fairly old doubletrack, and some sections are eroded and a bit rooty and rocky. I've cyclocrossed it on 28mm tires and its certainly doable (depending on skill level), but I wouldn't call it terribly pleasant.
    I was going to go in from the Ice Arena.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    1,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I was going to go in from the Ice Arena.
    In that case, you can ride pretty much anything. From the ice rink to campground C is only like 1.5 miles, so its not even a long walk. And most of it is very easy doubletrack. Just realize that the very first 50 yards (from the ice rink) is the hardest thing you'll ride and don't get too worried.

    Basic directions are: drop into the doubletrack from the corner of the ice rink. First section is super rooty and washed out, but only for a short bit, then it gets much smoother. As you come down the hill, stay left to continue on the doubletrack. Follow it for a mile or so to a stream crossing; after crossing, stay left to continue to the campground. A short bit later, you'll be skirting the campground; hop out onto the gravel, follow it up the hill, across the end of the soccer fields, then go around the chain and down the hill to the paved trail over the dam. Spectating area is on your right on the far side.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    4,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    In that case, you can ride pretty much anything. From the ice rink to campground C is only like 1.5 miles, so its not even a long walk. And most of it is very easy doubletrack. Just realize that the very first 50 yards (from the ice rink) is the hardest thing you'll ride and don't get too worried.
    Yarp. that''s the way we rode in last year.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •