Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Capital 'Cross Classic - local cyclocross race in Reston

Post Thanks / Like

Sean and I are riding out from Falls Church. We'll be rolling through the intersection of the W&OD and Virginia Avenue (Just west of Falls Church) at about 0655. We'll likely stop for coffee in Vienna at Caffe Amouri. He's racing the Cat4 race.

After the ride we're going to head West to White's Ferry, then come home via the C&O. Mileage for the day will be in the low to mid 90s.

Let me know if anyone wants to join in.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping to be there too - cheering everyone on.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I wouldn't want to accompany Dirt to the event, but because I want to sleep in a bit on my weekend - what is the best way to bike there from the W&OD to spectate?

Hunter Mill seems the most direct but since that is one of the most dangerous crossings for W&OD users, it raises questions whether the road itself is ok for cyclists. I've never been on it.

On google there's a trail from the W&OD along Difficult Run up to the park, but is it paved and if not, is it in good enough condition for normal (non-CX tires)?

Live: Palisades, DC | Work: West End (21 & L)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Sean and I are riding out from Falls Church. We'll be rolling through the intersection of the W&OD and Virginia Avenue (Just west of Falls Church) at about 0655. We'll likely stop for coffee in Vienna at Caffe Amouri. He's racing the Cat4 race.

After the ride we're going to head West to White's Ferry, then come home via the C&O. Mileage for the day will be in the low to mid 90s.

Let me know if anyone wants to join in.

Pete
    Tentative maybe here - I think I can make the family schedule work for it. Would have to hit the road around 6:15 or so to meet you at 655 at W&OD & Virginia. Not too bad.
    If you're at #fcc tomorrow morning, we can discuss

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    If you're at #fcc tomorrow morning, we can discuss
    I'll be there.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    Not that I wouldn't want to accompany Dirt to the event, but because I want to sleep in a bit on my weekend - what is the best way to bike there from the W&OD to spectate?

Hunter Mill seems the most direct but since that is one of the most dangerous crossings for W&OD users, it raises questions whether the road itself is ok for cyclists. I've never been on it.

On google there's a trail from the W&OD along Difficult Run up to the park, but is it paved and if not, is it in good enough condition for normal (non-CX tires)?
    Same dilemma for me. Based on the photos I've seen of Difficult Run and my experiences with other sections of the CCT, it is at least mostly unpaved and probably not easy riding for regular road bikes. My plan is just to ride out to Wiehle and take that up and around the park. According to Google, it's only like a mile or so longer, but it seems like the safest/easiest option, for me at least.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering racing it depending on how my other plans work out for the weekend.

The CCT in that area is rideable on a cross bike if you've got skillz. I have some skill, but not skillz, so my experience riding it was a bit nerve-wracking. Lots of clutching the brakes in terror. It's closer to a mountain bike trail than packed gravel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Same dilemma for me. Based on the photos I've seen of Difficult Run and my experiences with other sections of the CCT, it is at least mostly unpaved and probably not easy riding for regular road bikes. My plan is just to ride out to Wiehle and take that up and around the park. According to Google, it's only like a mile or so longer, but it seems like the safest/easiest option, for me at least.
    As a near-daily rider of the CCT to LFP (I do it on my commute whenever possible) entering Tamarack Park (just before HM) and exiting at Michael Faraday in Reston (Ice Rink) I can help here- It's beginner MTB single track with a paved Difficult Run crossing that will have 4" of water in it. There are no major technical features until you get into the park proper. That said, it is not a path for a true road bike or on slick tires (although I've done it).

Link to W&OD through park route: http://app.strava.com/activities/29675367

Hunter Mill as an alternate is not very bike friendly (but Sunday it'll be better than usual) and it's a surprisingly long ride to the park with virtually no shoulder. I'd enter at the Reston end... thing is, I have no idea how to do that without hitting the nicer (read harder) single track in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    The best way, IMO, is to ride the W&OD out to the Ice Rink (at Michael Faraday), and then take the main Lake Fairfax doubletrack into the park proper. The doubletrack ain't bad; I've ridden it on my carbon road bike with 23mm slicks many times, though I am an experienced mountain biker. After maybe 1.5 miles it comes out near one of the campgrounds, and from there you can take the gravel roads around to the main area near the dam where the race is being held. See my map here: http://www.logoffrideon.com/trails/i...map_wip_11.jpg :Rails to River doubletrack to Camping area C, then around on gravel/pavement to the area marked with the picnic symbols below the dam.

If riding off road is totally unacceptable, I'd ride the W&OD to Wiehle, take that up to North Shore dr and turn right, around Ring Rd to Hunt Club Rd, then right on Lake Fairfax drive and into the main park. The Wiehle section isn't great, but its a lightly trafficked 4 lane road so its generally ok, especially on weekends.

I wouldn't recommend Hunters Mill on a bike, even on the weekend. Its doable, but far from ideal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    It's beginner MTB single track
    Clarifying my own post- "beginner" is subjective, this section of the CCT is a solid step up from crushed gravel trails but does not have major logs or large rocks. Small roots and rocks abound and there are some stout climbs and descents on uneven terrain. Roughly equivalent to the main loop at Wakefield in difficulty *maybe* a smidge harder after Colvin Run. Also, the creek crossing is no joke, currently there is 6" of mud on the entry and falling in in the pre-dawn hours would be... bad... (there is a pedestal trail detour) which I use when it's super cold or the water is high.

I ride a CX in there in the dark- with a MTB and daylight, it's no big deal