Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Bike Challenge

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

We could just post/update our weekly mileages in this thread if we're going with manual entry.

Endomondo does have a horrible UI.

Live: Palisades, DC | Work: West End (21 & L)
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on Endomondo data entry Fail.

I think VVill's suggestion of posting totals in this thread is a good one b/c it will let people use whatever system they want to keep track. I wonder if there is any un-lockable forum tool that has basic spreadsheet functionality or other numerical data tracking.

That said, it would be nice if Strava let users post/create local or group challenges. Could be a thing where only premium users can create to generate a bit of revenue for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Endomundo did suck, especially when Dirt's miles didn't count one month becasue of late entry.

We could probably set up a Google Site, with pages for each team, then allow riders to update their own page, and team captains to update the cover site? Anyone good with this kind of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.... how many teams are we envisioning? How many riders/team?

Post Thanks / Like

How about 4-5 riders per team, but each team must be coed, and each team must consist of riders from at least 3 municipalities (d.c. f.c. ARL, Moco, Alex, FFX) etc, then see how it works.

I would invision starting in January (because of holiday travel) and run through st patricks day with a party at the end.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by essigmw View Post
    each team must consist of riders from at least 3 municipalities (d.c. f.c. ARL, Moco, Alex, FFX) etc,
    I would think that geographical homogeneity would lead to much enjoyable cross-jurisdictional trash talk.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be in.

I would be willing to attempt a Google Docs / Google Forms / Google site interface. It will be clumsy. But basically I can give permissions to whoever wants them - and we can all input and correct the data. It can be poured into a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet can be displayed on a Google site.

I could also see if other members of the Federal Cyclists Commission want to join. There are a handful from Arlington

And finally, I would like to propose some stupendously cheesy award for the end - something that can be proudly or embarrassingly displayed on one's office shelf.

One comment: I liked the Natl Bike Challenge structure, where it was 10 pts per day and 1 pt per mile. I know I will never be able to keep up with the likes of Dirt, but this creates an incentive for the "daily rider" and encourages you to get off your but and get a mile in every day (and I would propose that a min ride be at least 1 mile).

Does someone want to throw up a discussion draft of the competition - pull all these thoughts together? Time span, rules, teams, ect? I might have time later today (it is friday after all) where I could draft something up. We can all look it over - give input - put out a final - and then go live with recruiting.
    Last edited by rcannon100; 11-30-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Lets form committees and sub committees

Live: Palisades, DC | Work: West End (21 & L)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I would be in.

I would be willing to attempt a Google Docs / Google Forms / Google site interface. It will be clumsy. But basically I can give permissions to whoever wants them - and we can all input and correct the data. It can be poured into a spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet can be displayed on a Google site.
    This should be fairly straightforward - and I'm happy to lend a hand to help out on site construction - Google has good integration with forms and spreadsheets (and, as of a couple days ago, you can now host webpages on your Google Drive too).

A couple options come to mind:

1- Just set up a shared Google Spreadsheet where riders enter their miles per week and then points are tallied. Something like this It would be honor-system where everyone is responsible for their own mileage entries. Version control would help make sure no one messes with data. Could do mileage per week or even mileage per day - which would allow for different points assignments (example 2x points for weekend rides...)

2- Set up a form that ties to the spreadsheet and riders only get view access to the spreadsheet. Just a different way of inputing the data. Makes it so that riders can only enter their own data.

The drawback with either system is that riders will need to keep track of miles using some other tool (GPS, Strava, etc.) and then manually enter miles in yet another interface.

Unless someone has another tool - just not Endomondo- which makes data tracking easy for everyone, I say we just settle for a system, even if it is clunky. The challenge should be motivation enough to get users to input data.

Post Thanks / Like

Works for me. I think the second option (form rather than just a spreadsheet) would be easier/less likely to get screwed up (with shared permissons), assuming someone can build it.

I think for a casual challenge like this, the fewer rules the better. My suggestions:

• Agree with rcannon: the National Bike Challenge points system worked well I think (10/day ridden + 1/mile). Stick with that.
    • A 5 rider cap/team since there are fewer winter riders and we want probably at least 3 teams to make it interesting.
    • consularrider, Greenbelt and Dirt are on different teams
    Last edited by vvill; 11-30-2012 at 11:18 AM.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Dammit, why can't I have Photoshop at work, MSPaint is suboptimal. Anyway, every contest needs a name and EPIC graphic: