Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...And then I had cold ears...

Post Thanks / Like

Gain some winter weight. I'm a few pounds over weight and I don't have cold issues in any core area from my head to my bum. My feet get really cold instead.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got an email about a supplement to add weight in the appropriate area, can forward if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Wind Briefs ordered: $20: http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/...tyle=MRB0328BK

The seams could be an issue, but I could always wear them over my tights I suppose. Technically, we have a household moratorium on buying any bike gear 'till after the holidays are over but I'm making an executive decision on this one...

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the "baggy/MTB shorts over bike shorts" thing. I've also tried 2 pairs of bike shorts but MTB shorts give more wind protection.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the "regular/mtb shorts over the bibs" camp, sometimes even with a flannel boxer thrown in as an extra layer between the bibs and the shorts. It's usually the wind that can make it hurt the worst. let us know how your new fancy plastic underwear works!

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a cold weather tip that's well known in the non-cycling community. Long pants. If you like MTB shorts you'll love long pants!

Post Thanks / Like

Which PI tights have you been using? I just started commuting on my bike in late September, and have gotten by with bike shorts and leg warmers until this week. But with the temps in the 30s on Monday, my boys were not happy! A pair of PI windproof/water resistant amfib tights over my bike shorts did the trick for me.

Definitely a pretty steep learning curve getting used riding in the cooler temps, for sure. On the plus side, at least the MVT isn't as crowded now.

Post Thanks / Like

I never have heat problems down there because I'm just excited to be out cycling!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Which PI tights have you been using? I just started commuting on my bike in late September, and have gotten by with bike shorts and leg warmers until this week. But with the temps in the 30s on Monday, my boys were not happy! A pair of PI windproof/water resistant amfib tights over my bike shorts did the trick for me.

Definitely a pretty steep learning curve getting used riding in the cooler temps, for sure. On the plus side, at least the MVT isn't as crowded now.
    I've been riding in the cold for a long time, never had these issues until last year... maybe after having kids my body redirected the bloodflow elsewhere...

I use the light-weight PI tights with short or knicker bibs- AmFib is just too warm on the rest of me (I hate sweaty knees...). I suspect that the wind briefs plus bibs plus tights will do the trick down to my 20 deg (ambient) cut-off.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    I've been riding in the cold for a long time, never had these issues until last year... maybe after having kids my body redirected the bloodflow elsewhere...
    I'm pretty sure having kids didn't affect YOUR body so much...
    Last edited by dasgeh; 11-29-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Grumbling b/c I'm still a month away from ëxercise