Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texting While Driving

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of anything that might create an unexpected ride in an ambulance. Also not a huge fan of people talking on the phone while turning through intersections. I see that a lot on the bike, and it makes me a bit nervous. Texting is bad, but talking isn't much better. when on the phone you are an active listener (as opposed to radio) and your mind is not focused on your immediate surroundings.

Post Thanks / Like

Another update to this story today.....

http://www.wtop.com/120/3142707/Va-t...-while-driving

Post Thanks / Like

Texting isn't the problem, it's a symptom of distraction. Folks get hung up on "texting while driving" because they presume someone looks down and engages his or her phone with both hands. It's definitely a horrible distraction, people definitely should not do it while driving, but quite frankly they shouldn't be driving distracted at all. I see people trying to light tobacco products, eating, putting on makeup, putting on ties, and all sorts of insane things that are quite simply not safe. So part of what worries me is we overfocus our attention on simply cell phones and that reinforces folks committing other distracted sins because they think they're doing well by not texting.

It's why I find the texting-only laws kind of pointless. I would rather they come under distracted driving and the penalty be something extremely high (like when VA did the crazy speeding ticket fines).

On an unrelated note, this fall/winter, I have been behind a few of our own on two wheels holding full length conversations. I'm baffled at how they brake effectively, but I must say a little part of me is also impressed as it's something I couldn't do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Texting isn't the problem, it's a symptom of distraction. Folks get hung up on "texting while driving" because they presume someone looks down and engages his or her phone with both hands. It's definitely a horrible distraction, people definitely should not do it while driving, but quite frankly they shouldn't be driving distracted at all. I see people trying to light tobacco products, eating, putting on makeup, putting on ties, and all sorts of insane things that are quite simply not safe. So part of what worries me is we overfocus our attention on simply cell phones and that reinforces folks committing other distracted sins because they think they're doing well by not texting.

It's why I find the texting-only laws kind of pointless. I would rather they come under distracted driving and the penalty be something extremely high (like when VA did the crazy speeding ticket fines).

On an unrelated note, this fall/winter, I have been behind a few of our own on two wheels holding full length conversations. I'm baffled at how they brake effectively, but I must say a little part of me is also impressed as it's something I couldn't do.
    Did you hear about Toronto this summer? http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08...k-to-citizens/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Did you hear about Toronto this summer? http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08...k-to-citizens/
    Precisely. He was almost as bad as the guy I saw reading a newspaper the other day.

Either people are far more talented than I am OR they're more lucky.

6. 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

mstone is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no longer able to read about the ex-mayor of toronto without mentally inserting "the Robs Fords". Thanks, Bike Snob.