Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: $0 single speed "conversion"?

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my fixie-to-be. Someday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	2103
    Last edited by ShawnoftheDread; 11-24-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: And I'm going to ride it on the ceiling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    This is my fixie-to-be. Someday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	2103
    Perfect frame for a conversion, is someday coming soon?

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy to report I emerged unscathed and perhaps even a little enlightened from my first ever fixie ride. Thanks to dcv for sharing his SS/FG CX bike. Going west on the Custis after sunset probably wasn't the best test environment, but with cushy tires it wasn't a big deal. It's definitely a very different experience.

Edit: additions.
    Thing most likely to make me crash: going from standing up to sitting on the saddle, I tend to coast a little. Fixie coasting is bad.
    Best unexpected thing: How easy it is to keep pedaling. Since your (and the bike's) momentum continue to turn your pedals you really don't have to put much energy into pedaling unless you want to go up a hill fast.
    Weirdest thing: trying to modulate speed by resisting the pedals (modulating by pedaling lighter seemed easy enough). Maybe I need to practice on a elliptical backwards or something, but I have very undeveloped muscle memory/fibers for doing that.
    I think I have a bit more understanding of the connection with the road and bike that fixie riders rave about.
    Last edited by vvill; 11-29-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Happy to report I emerged unscathed and perhaps even a little enlightened from my first ever fixie ride. Thanks to dcv for sharing his SS/FG CX bike.
    Welcome to the dark side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Happy to report I emerged unscathed and perhaps even a little enlightened from my first ever fixie ride. Thanks to dcv for sharing his SS/FG CX bike. Going west on the Custis after sunset probably wasn't the best test environment, but with cushy tires it wasn't a big deal. It's definitely a very different experience.

Edit: additions.
    Thing most likely to make me crash: going from standing up to sitting on the saddle, I tend to coast a little. Fixie coasting is bad.
    Best unexpected thing: How easy it is to keep pedaling. Since your (and the bike's) momentum continue to turn your pedals you really don't have to put much energy into pedaling unless you want to go up a hill fast.
    Weirdest thing: trying to modulate speed by resisting the pedals (modulating by pedaling lighter seemed easy enough). Maybe I need to practice on a elliptical backwards or something, but I have very undeveloped muscle memory/fibers for doing that.
    I think I have a bit more understanding of the connection with the road and bike that fixie riders rave about.
    You're a natural, I could tell you were well prepared physically and mentally. When I first started riding FG there was nothing zen-like about it, took me a while to get used to it.
    Anyone else want to try? (I'm looking at you, shawnofthedead, jrenaut and eminva)

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do want to try. I'm single dad this weekend while my wife is out carousing in New Orleans prior to not one but two oral arguments in the Fifth Circuit Monday morning, so unless your offer to try fixed gear comes with childcare, I'll have to wait until at least next week.

Also, I doubt I'm as well prepared as vvill. The hill on 15th St kicked my ass today, and I have 24 gears at my disposal. Just been one of those "I have no legs" weeks.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, yes I do.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask my question here...this is picking up from a convo on Strava, but anyway...

If I wanted to convert my Cdale R400 (triple crank with 8spd cassette), I theoretically could just do it with a single rear cog/spacers, a chain tensioner, and a new single chainring/bolts/chain (or leave the chain on the existing 42 middle ring)? And what do I do with the derailleur cables (Sora shifters)? And can I re-use my old chain since it's already an 8spd?

I noticed Performance has a conversion kit for about $22, so I might try that...unless someone knows of local shops that sell kits.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I only own ancient bikes with horizontal dropouts and would not need a chain tensioner, I would just use the old chain, cut it to size, and not thread it through the derailleur. I would keep both derailleurs on, letting them hang free. Otherwise, there is no problem just removing the derailleurs and the cabling. Of course, if you take the housing out between the brifters and the downtube, you might have to retape the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

2wheels, i was going to post this on strava but too long:

SS conversion parts list:

1. $17 Spacer kit http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2621

2. $30 Single cog http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=1569

3. $23 Tensioner (if vertical dropouts, don’t need if you have horizontal dropouts) http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=47140

4. $9 single chainring bolts http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22293

5. $23 drop bar brake levers (these are small, my favorite) http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=38214

6. $17 Fizik bar tape (my favorite) http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=831

New parts: $119 + shipping. You may be able to salvage / reuse brake cables and housing. If chain is in good condition break and re-link. Remove derailleurs and shifter and save for a rainy day project.

Not quite $0, but i've always loved working on bikes. If you hunt on CL you might be able to save some money, but it will take patience. I volunteer to help, just let me know

V