Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Commuters, Video on the rise?: ABC7 tonight at 5pm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cycling Commuters, Video on the rise?: ABC7 tonight at 5pm

http://www.wjla.com/

Some of us from WABA (I'm just a member, not someone in administration) were interviewed... I sure hope that it does a good job of portraying cyclists and makes a good call for safety on both sides.

I'm not sure if it will be on their "live-stream" or not... I've asked Pamela to send a link after air so we can send it to others.

http://www.wjla.com/live/
    Last edited by thecyclingeconomist; 11-19-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/11...ety-82239.html

There's the story, the newscast is about to air

Post Thanks / Like

I see a new jersey in the making:

Your Jackassery
    Is
    Being Recorded

Post Thanks / Like

One lady interviewed is really clueless. She basically said cyclists shouldn't be able to record because it's an invasion of her privacy... ???? WTF?! That's just stupid. People really don't realize that you have no expectation of privacy when you're in public?! Especially driving on a public road! I think based on that alone, the story made drivers look ignorant.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

As far as that woman who brought up invasion of privacy, I'm sure if she stopped to think about it a little longer she'd probably realize that it isn't (unless she considers red-light, speed, police car, and security cameras all to be invasions of privacy). I'll be generous and chalk that comment up to her being in front of a camera and its effect on her behavior. Hmm, I guess this proves that when people know they are being watched they tend to adjust their behavior (P.S. - there is scientific research that shows this to be true)

Anyways, I think the article and video were rather positive (just don't head below the line that says "Comments"). I'm glad how Pamela ended the article. She could've thrown in some sort of fear-mongering, er, "attention-grabbing" line like, "The message for drivers: watch out, the next time you're driving near a cyclist, your every movement could be filmed and used against you!" but did not, for which I am relieved. I think the message was communicated in a much less combative way.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Bicyclist is Watching.

War is Peace.
    Freedom is Slavery.
    Hills are Fun.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hills aren't fun? I like hills, upward especially.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done piece. Good job to you Proteus folks for defusing the "CYCLISTS ARE ALL CRAZY THEY SHOULD BE ON CAMERA TOO" thing before the drivers interviewed ever got to it. Also I love your dog.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    As far as that woman who brought up invasion of privacy, I'm sure if she stopped to think about it a little longer she'd probably realize that it isn't (unless she considers red-light, speed, police car, and security cameras all to be invasions of privacy). I'll be generous and chalk that comment up to her being in front of a camera and its effect on her behavior. Hmm, I guess this proves that when people know they are being watched they tend to adjust their behavior (P.S. - there is scientific research that shows this to be true)

Anyways, I think the article and video were rather positive (just don't head below the line that says "Comments"). I'm glad how Pamela ended the article. She could've thrown in some sort of fear-mongering, er, "attention-grabbing" line like, "The message for drivers: watch out, the next time you're driving near a cyclist, your every movement could be filmed and used against you!" but did not, for which I am relieved. I think the message was communicated in a much less combative way.
    When people drive their cars (or ride their bikes or walk around for that matter), they're using the public space and aren't entitled to the "privacy" of not being watched by others! That's a silly argument. As long as it's not some sort of stalking or paparazzi harassment, people have the right to observe others in public spaces, especially when their safety can be put at risk by other people's actions in that public space.