Thread: Can I use a 700x25-30 inner tube on a 700x32 tire?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I use a 700x25-30 inner tube on a 700x32 tire?

Looks like my fat ass wore through my first rear tire.

I bought a couple of these:

Continental Tour Ride Urban Bicycle Tire (700x32)/(28x1 1/4x1 3/4)

The guy at Big Wheels told me that 700x25-30 tubes would fit, but I didn't notice at the time that this was "outside" the range. Am I good with these tubes? They inflated just fine and feel ok, but I don't want to take them out on the road if there is a problem.

Thanks

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about it. But I also don't worry about much in general.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tubes are quite stretchy.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read in the past, it should be good in an emergency (probably for longer, but why push it? tubes are cheap)

Post Thanks / Like

They will work fine...

Post Thanks / Like

No problems. I use 700x18-25 tubes in my 700x40 tires all the time. I also use 26x2.2 tubes in my 26x4 tires. Only difference is that they are a TINY bit more likely to flat if you get something pointy in your tire (glass, staple, nail, etc). Honestly... if you get something like that through to your tube, having the fatter tube means that you'll get the flat 100 yards down the road instead of immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    No problems. I use 700x18-25 tubes in my 700x40 tires all the time. I also use 26x2.2 tubes in my 26x4 tires. Only difference is that they are a TINY bit more likely to flat if you get something pointy in your tire (glass, staple, nail, etc). Honestly... if you get something like that through to your tube, having the fatter tube means that you'll get the flat 100 yards down the road instead of immediately.
    Wow this is good info...I had no idea you could go that far outside the range. This certainly simplifies which tube I keep in the messenger bag.

Post Thanks / Like

But don't go the other way... getting a 700x30 tube in a 700x23 tire no worka so well.

My only caveat with tube sizing is that on my CX I'm waaay more likely to pinch-flat with an undersized tube. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

They will leak air faster(slightly to moderately) as well due to the rubber being stretched more so than it was designed for.