Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding in really bad weather....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Nothing spices up a marriage like knee warmers.
    Damn, I wish I had known that back when I was married....

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one of my motivations to ride year-round.

rcannon100 is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So I did some research last night and could not find much that supports the argument that you should wear knee warmers. A blog post that says so is nice, but its always nice to try and get it from a credible source (there is a lot of lore in bicycle circles that isnt fact based). I search for: knees, exercise, and cold weather - as in, if this is true, than it would be true for joggers, tennis players, ultimate players, etc. I really could not find anything that supports this.

I played ultimate for 25 years. Pretty much the same thing: We would keep our core warm, we would wear gloves in the winter (nothing like a frozen frisbee hitting your fingers to do some serious damage - we did in fact wear bike gloves so that we had padding and had fingers that could feel the disc), and we would wear shorts.

I think the argument that you need to keep your tendons and muscles warm, and if you dont, you risk structural damage -- is very very valid. I guess my experience is I warm up pretty quick and pretty quickly am shedding layers.

One key for me - but this is true of cold or hot - I dont do anything strenuous for the first 10 minutes of the ride. This is warm up time. Put it in granny gear and ride it up the hill slowly. No stress. No grind. Nothing hard until the body is warmed up..... and then well nothing hard because I am a lame old man.

In other words, whatever it take you to warm up - and dont push it till you do. And listen to your knees. If they want warmers, put something on them.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Dirt, why are they keeping you in a cage? should we know something?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

And when the HOT lanes open, there will be 6 lanes of that instead of 4...good thing we spent $1 billion on them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    So I did some research last night and could not find much that supports the argument that you should wear knee warmers.
    I've heard it from every cycling, soccer and running coach I've ever had. I hear it from my orthopedist every time I see her.

Like I said in most posts about health related issues, we all react to situations differently. It may not be a problem for you. I've heard it from enough credible sources in my life and it has definitely been my experience that it is a guideline that I follow religiously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Dirt, why are they keeping you in a cage? should we know something?
    My adventures with mental health professionals are fairly well documented on the pages of this forum. Not sure we're in uncharted territory here.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    And when the HOT lanes open, there will be 6 lanes of that instead of 4...good thing we spent $1 billion on them!
    A bit OT, but I am pissed that the whole area near gallows and 29 has been revamped with HOT lanes added, and yet there are still NO BIKE LANES! Argh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    A bit OT, but I am pissed that the whole area near gallows and 29 has been revamped with HOT lanes added, and yet there are still NO BIKE LANES! Argh.
    I've been riding through that area quite a bit lately. HiVis clothing and lots of lights help. I haven't had a problem yet, but it could have been soooooooo much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    So I did some research last night and could not find much that supports the argument that you should wear knee warmers. A blog post that says so is nice, but its always nice to try and get it from a credible source (there is a lot of lore in bicycle circles that isnt fact based). I search for: knees, exercise, and cold weather - as in, if this is true, than it would be true for joggers, tennis players, ultimate players, etc. I really could not find anything that supports this.
    You seem like a research guy--did you try PubMed? I'm curious, but don't have the time at the moment.