Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter jacket recommendations

Live: Palisades, DC | Work: West End (21 & L)
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention SWRVE's other jacket options from lightweight ($175) to heavyweight ($175) to waxed ($400)... http://swrve.myshopify.com/collections/blk-label/

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I'm looking for something as similar as possible, but NOT from showerspass. A high-end rain/winter cycling shell.
    I've been considering this one, which is waterproof, windproof and supposedly good at breathing (it has something similar to eVent fabric I believe). The listed price on backcountry sites goes up by size though. It's race cut.
    http://www.backcountry.com/gore-bike...as-jacket-mens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Endura Venturi II http://www.endurasport.com/Product.a...22&prod_id=354

I got their 3/4 pants too. You need to care for them correctly using NikWax cleaner and treatment, but that is what I rode through the hurricane last week and I stayed dry.

I think The Bike Lane used to carry the Endura stuff. I haven't been out there in a while to find out. My jacket is 3 years old and going strong. It took a little while to figure out how to wash it and keep it waterproof. But now that I found the NikWax products (available through REI or Casual Adventure), I'm very happy with the jacket and pants.
    Those look good. Expensive, but worth if if they are decently durable (and if they hold up to the amount you ride, I'm assuming they must be).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I'm pretty good on layering. I've been winter commuting since 2006, and have a sizable collection of various weight base layers, socks and tights. I also have an old set of Lake SPD boots that are great, and several winter gloves. What I really need is a shell; something windproof as a top layer in cool/cold weather that also gives some water resistance when its cold and raining. For the past 5 or so years, I've been running a showerspass elite 2 jacket. It works well; the eVent fabric does breath reasonably effectively and the design of the jacket is good. My only complaint is that the build quality is terrible; the glued seams are constantly coming apart, the pocket zippers fell off (not the finger pull, the entire zipper). And at this point, the fabric is well worn out and no longer waterproof anyway.

I'm looking for something as similar as possible, but NOT from showerspass. A high-end rain/winter cycling shell.
    I was hesitant to weigh in with my .02, since my winter shell cost an almost unreasonable amount, but since Dirt broke the ice with a sound exposition of why spending serious $$ is merited, and you put the phrase "high-end rain/winter cycling shell" I'm going to go with - my Rapha softshell jacket (Rapha has since come out with an even more weather proof jacket, the hardshell, for even more $$) My Rapha softshell has great build quality, loaded with features - ventilates nicely, close fit to prevent flapping, pockets galore, and great wind and water resistance. I admit I'm not totally enamored of the signature offset zipper, but it's there, and it is distinctive. Combining this with various wool layers and jerseys allow for comfort going from the high 20's to high 50's. Only bummer is the price (get it when they have the sales) and the fact that I can't carry a nice bottle of California cabernet in the pockets. Least I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwfisher3 View Post
    I was hesitant to weigh in with my .02, since my winter shell cost an almost unreasonable amount, but since Dirt broke the ice with a sound exposition of why spending serious $$ is merited, and you put the phrase "high-end rain/winter cycling shell" I'm going to go with - my Rapha softshell jacket (Rapha has since come out with an even more weather proof jacket, the hardshell, for even more $$) My Rapha softshell has great build quality, loaded with features - ventilates nicely, close fit to prevent flapping, pockets galore, and great wind and water resistance. I admit I'm not totally enamored of the signature offset zipper, but it's there, and it is distinctive. Combining this with various wool layers and jerseys allow for comfort going from the high 20's to high 50's. Only bummer is the price (get it when they have the sales) and the fact that I can't carry a nice bottle of California cabernet in the pockets. Least I don't think so.
    Yup. My throwing money at the cold happened in the form of an Assos bonKa jacket. Similarly priced and similar features. I liked that I could buy it locally. Very nice jacket, sir. You'll enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like

Just so any beginners don't get intimidated or feel that they have to spend a fortune to stay warm -- I was fine on my short eight mile each way commutes all of last winter with a standard Pearl Izumi shell jacket, but with varying layers under it, including merino wool or light fleece when needed. In rain I threw a $19.99 Performance bikes rain jacket over it. The expensive jackets are really nice and worthwhile for many, but are not an absolute necessity for shorter distance riders.

Post Thanks / Like

That is even fancier than I went, often relying on a long sleeve tee shirt over a short sleeve shirt. Then a cheap lands end fleece vest and a REI windbreaker.

Performed about as well as the $200 Gore softshell i just bought.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    Just so any beginners don't get intimidated or feel that they have to spend a fortune to stay warm -- I was fine on my short eight mile each way commutes all of last winter with a standard Pearl Izumi shell jacket, but with varying layers under it, including merino wool or light fleece when needed. In rain I threw a $19.99 Performance bikes rain jacket over it. The expensive jackets are really nice and worthwhile for many, but are not an absolute necessity for shorter distance riders.
    Absolutely. I've commuted on the cheap for years. I threw money at it this year because I need to continue endurance training through the winter and I don't use indoor trainers at all. 6+ hour rides in sub-freezing weather are not wise without the correct gear that can keep me warm and dry.

Greenbelt is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Handiest budget cold weather item -- neck gator. (Minnesota-themed beer stein with fish handle, flags, umbrella, and clothes pins optional.)
    Name:  neck gator.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  100.2 KB

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree neck gators are great for cold wind protection.

My problem is that if I don't have wind protection I get too cold too easily, but with it, I sweat easily and then need some breathability. I've gone from sweating buckets to teeth chattering within 5 mins when I only wore two layers of technical fabrics under a very light windbreaking vest. My conclusion right now is I need some more merino base layers. I tried one yesterday and it worked marvelously. It was still wet with sweat because my jacket doesn't vent enough for me, but I wasn't cold and it dried fast, and it didn't smell. Merino ain't cheap though