Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter jacket recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    So really, maybe you don't need a new jacket...just a hillier commute
    My commute is pushing 500 feet of climbing over just 7 miles, so its not exactly flat.

Appreciate the recommendations, all. I should clarify that I've been winter commuting for several years and I'm fine with layering, I just need a new shell. I prefer a mere shell, so I can use it in warmer temps as well as colder temps (varying the layering underneath). I basically want another showerspass jacket, but one I don't have to constantly glue and sew back together, from a company who actually returns emails if something goes wrong.

I'll look at some of the Gore jackets. I've also been stalking the winter riding forum on bikeforums for additional recommendations.

mstone is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    My commute is pushing 500 feet of climbing over just 7 miles, so its not exactly flat.
    Stoplights and downhill stretches where you have to watch your speed are the worst for keeping warm. Having climbs just means your clothes freeze when you stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Stoplights and downhill stretches where you have to watch your speed are the worst for keeping warm. Having climbs just means your clothes freeze when you stop.
    Not if you're wearing wool.

Post Thanks / Like

Ability to easily carry a bottle of wine is a feature I really like in a winter jacket.

I'll write up a serious answer tomorrow.

Hugs and kisses.

Dirt.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore a merino wool jersey underneath my winter jacket for the first time ever today. I am impressed at how unitchy and comfortable I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Ability to easily carry a bottle of wine is a feature I really like in a winter jacket.

I'll write up a serious answer tomorrow.
    Seems like a perfectly good serious answer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The Layers 101 thread can be helpful. I think you found that today, Will.

I said in another thread that I threw a lot of money at the cold this year. In the past I've used layering and good quality stuff to combat the cold. My goal this winter is to do some more serious endurance rides regardless of weather. The reason why I spent a lot more on winter clothes is because I needed something that can keep me warm without bulk and really get moisture away from my skin. That's where spending insane amounts of money on winter gear pays off.

I found that going with pretty good stuff keeps me warm and comfy for rides under 2.5-3 hours. Much more time out than that and I start having freeze/thaw cycles that are not comfortable and can be dangerous if you're far from home/warmth.

Just keep in mind as you build your winter wardrobe that you need to consider both warmth AND moisture transfer.

Does that help?

Later!

Pete

PS: Wine transport is high on my list of important features.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Just keep in mind as you build your winter wardrobe that you need to consider both warmth AND moisture transfer.

Does that help?
    I'm pretty good on layering. I've been winter commuting since 2006, and have a sizable collection of various weight base layers, socks and tights. I also have an old set of Lake SPD boots that are great, and several winter gloves. What I really need is a shell; something windproof as a top layer in cool/cold weather that also gives some water resistance when its cold and raining. For the past 5 or so years, I've been running a showerspass elite 2 jacket. It works well; the eVent fabric does breath reasonably effectively and the design of the jacket is good. My only complaint is that the build quality is terrible; the glued seams are constantly coming apart, the pocket zippers fell off (not the finger pull, the entire zipper). And at this point, the fabric is well worn out and no longer waterproof anyway.

I'm looking for something as similar as possible, but NOT from showerspass. A high-end rain/winter cycling shell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    I'm looking for something as similar as possible, but NOT from showerspass. A high-end rain/winter cycling shell.
    Endura Venturi II http://www.endurasport.com/Product.a...22&prod_id=354

I got their 3/4 pants too. You need to care for them correctly using NikWax cleaner and treatment, but that is what I rode through the hurricane last week and I stayed dry.

I think The Bike Lane used to carry the Endura stuff. I haven't been out there in a while to find out. My jacket is 3 years old and going strong. It took a little while to figure out how to wash it and keep it waterproof. But now that I found the NikWax products (available through REI or Casual Adventure), I'm very happy with the jacket and pants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RESTONTODC View Post
    I wear only the Gore Men's Phantom Jacket. It's water resistant. The GoreWindstopper is in the front and the back mesh gives good ventilation. It prevents overheating. Here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Gore-Phantom-J...+winter+jacket
    I use the jacket all the way down to 25 degrees and up to about 50 and then take off the sleeves in the afternoon. I really like the fit (size large for a skinny, long torso'ed, broad shouldered 6'2" er). Downsides? My first one blew a zipper in about 3 weeks and it doesn't do a heck of a lot of good in heavy or prolonged rain. As said elsewhere, underlayers are key...

Live: Palisades, DC | Work: West End (21 & L)
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have one, but SWRVE's new Deck Jacket looks pretty good: https://swrve.myshopify.com/products/deck-jacket

I've given a lot of my money to Swrve over the years - caps, knickers, jeans - and love their gear. The Black Label line is hand-made in Los Angeles and the shop is an important member of the LA cycling community.